Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Diploma in Electrical Installations (2365) in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. GM18

GM18 EF Member

Business Name:
    N/A
    Hi, I'm thinking about starting a two year course at my local college, the course is Diploma in Electrical Installations 2365 (levels two and three)

My question is what else would I need to be a qualified electrician? I see so many courses available and I don't want to spend two years doing something that isn't going to help me gain full time employment in the electrical industry.

Thanks

2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    The 2365 is what you need. Afterwards you can do the nvq including am2 then you are considered qualified. Some people are happy to never do the nvq but once you have the 2365 look at your 2391 testing qualification. Should serve you well in future

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what he said^^^^. once enrolledon the 2365, applyfor access to the trainee section. loads of help there for trainees questions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

That is the route I am taking Gav, will probably do my 2392 before going for my 2391 though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    That's what I did, I wasn't confident to go for the full 2391 so I completed the 2392 first. It definitely helped. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GM18

GM18 EF Member

Business Name:
    N/A

So, you don’t need the NVQ to get work? Would it be better to get the NVQ level 2 after I’m done with the level 2 Diploma or stay on and go for the level 3 Diploma?

Thanks for the advice, I’ll do that!

What’s 2391? I don’t think my local college has that course. It’s weird that the 2391 is higher than the 2392. Do you need to be employed in the industry to gain that qualification.

How much of the 2391 was carried over to he 2392?

Sorry for all the questions guys and thanks for your help.

7. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    The 2392 is fundamental inspecting and testing, it's only a level 2 course and it teaches you the basic testing procedures and is aimed at beginners and those who have never tested before

the 2391 is the level 3 inspection and testing course. City and Guilds had such a low pass mark for the 2391 they decided to revamp the whole qualification to make it easier. Essentially dumbing it down from what it was before.

It's now split into 3 separate courses

2391-50 for initial verification
    2391-51 for periodic inspection and testing
    And 2391-52 which is a combination of both initial verification and periodic inspection and testing

you can either do the 2391-50 and 2391-51 courses separately to gain the full scope inspection and testing qualification or do the combined 2391-52 course.

If you've never tested before or aren't confident then do the 2392 first and then the 2391-52 afterwards.

8. GM18

GM18 EF Member

Business Name:
    N/A
    Thanks for the detailed response! It sounds like I should do the level 2 diploma and then the 2392 course. Then hopefully get a job in the industry and gain some experience before going for my level 3.

• Like Like x 1