Discuss Disconnecting Internal Siren from Galaxy 2-20 Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wish to disconnect an internal alarm siren but I am not sure how to go about doing it. You will see from a previous post that i've dabbled with the alarm before. It belongs to my parents and to reassure you, I have my 17th Edition, Part P and 2392 Inspection and Testing, although I never registered because I am a full-time teacher. I just help out friends and family.

To allay worries about security, the internal siren is in the flat about my parents shop. We've lived here for the past 24 years but we're now moving out and tenants are moving in. Therefore we don't want them getting a rude awakening if and when the alarm goes off!

I've included a couple of pictures from the inside of the internal siren (sorry about the quality). I am aware of safe powering-down (including battery, external bellbox etc) but would appreciate it if someone could give me instructions on:

1. How to terminate the wires inside the siren, so that it doesn't ring when the alarm sounds.

2. Alternatively, the siren box is tamper proof, so if someone tries to open it, the alarm sounds. Is it possible to keep the tamper function but disconnect the siren please? This would be the best solution, as we'd know if and when any curious tenants try to open the siren casing!

Thank you in anticipation for your help.

Attachments

• Internal Siren.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 15
  • Internal Siren 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 21
just snip both red and yellow cables. one at a time and you won't even need to power down. i's only 12V d.c. then as pete said, stick ends in a choc block. keep separate.

Is relocating the panel in the shop not an option? That would be the best solution as then there would be no need to access the flat for future alarm issues.

Is relocating the panel in the shop not an option? That would be the best solution as then there would be no need to access the flat for future alarm issues.

it's not the panel . he just wants to disable the remote internal sounder

Thank you all for you amazingly rapid responses! Should I remove and terminate one or both or the cables please? And is there a way to maintain the tamper function, in case anyone opens the siren box? Finally, is it definitely ok to do this without powering down? I'm worried about getting a fault on the alarm keypad, rather than the risk of electrocution!

Thanks in anticipation again!

as long as you snip them separately, and don't short them out, OK. as for the tamper trhere will be 2 more wires direct to the tamper switch. if this is connected, the internal sounder will activate when you open it. cancelled by entering user code and doing a reset after you close the sounder box .

Thank you very much telectrix. All terminated and fine now. Weirdly, the alarm didn't sound when I opened the box. The two wires to the tamper terminations aren't present, although I can see green, blue, white, orange and brown insulated wires snipped off in the main cable. I presume two of these are the tamper wires? I definitely know it was protected in the past, because I opened the box when I was a teenager (out of curiosity) and got a severe bo&!ocking from my parents when the alarm sounded! Strange but not a problem. Thanks again!

as long as you snip them separately, and don't short them out, OK. as for the tamper trhere will be 2 more wires direct to the tamper switch. if this is connected, the internal sounder will activate when you open it. cancelled by entering user code and doing a reset after you close the sounder box .

The G2-20 uses resistors for alarm modes so snipping any wire will put it into alarm mode.

Yes, it should be powered down, and the battery removed before snipping any wires. If you dont intend to use it again, then no problem, just leave it unpowered with no battery, if you do want to use it, then you will need to bypass the tamper circuit for that sounder, and maybe remove it in the programming, it has been a few weeks since I fitted one, so cannot recall if the sounders need to be set-up or removed from the programmes.
Alan.

Cheers Alan, it's all done now and there wasn't a problem setting the alarm, i.e. it didn't go into alarm mode. I disconnected one wire at a time, terminated them into choc blocks. Tested the alarm and it's working fine.

The G2-20 uses resistors for alarm modes so snipping any wire will put it into alarm mode.

Yes, it should be powered down, and the battery removed before snipping any wires. If you dont intend to use it again, then no problem, just leave it unpowered with no battery, if you do want to use it, then you will need to bypass the tamper circuit for that sounder, and maybe remove it in the programming, it has been a few weeks since I fitted one, so cannot recall if the sounders need to be set-up or removed from the programmes.
Alan.

not relevant in this case. the wires he wants to cut are not monitored by the panel.

if the tamper is not connected, then you'll have no problem with tenants pulling it apart.

Reply to Disconnecting Internal Siren from Galaxy 2-20 Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net