Discuss Discovered a bare live wire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guesty

-
Reaction score
Hi all, new member. I'm a decent DIYer but no electrician!

We moved in to our home just less than a year ago. This evening I have replaced the thermostat on the boiler with a nest.

While I was installing the heatlink in the cupboard under the stairs I noticed 2 parallel old cables. They were painted over, which was different to the other cables in the cupboard. It was located towards the top corner of the cupboard near the light and pull cable switch. To my alarm it was cut off, with bare wire exposed.

I grabbed my electric testing screwdriver. Worse still. IT WAS LIVE!

I flicked the switch on the consumer unit for downstairs lights (a guess because it was next to the current light) and tested again. This time my screwdriver had a dim red light compared to before. How can this be? Surely if it is on that circuit it shouldn't be live in any sense?

I know you will probably tell me I need a sparky to tell me exactly what the cable is doing. And I'm aware of this. But to put my mind at rest, why would the cable still be live, but the tester says not so live?! Should I be terminating the cables some how?

Thanks for your help in advance. I just can't believe someone would leave electrics in this way!

It is possible that the cable has been disconnected but a parallel cable may be causing a slight voltage to register on the screwdriver as they are not very reliable testers.
Obviously professional testing would be the best solution, but as a start it may be safe to visually trace where the wire goes, perhaps into the loft and see if it is connected into a junction box somewhere. If it is connected then if you turn off the main switch on the consumer unit it should be safe to disconnect the cable, but it is best to test the exposed cores of the cable with a contact voltage tester before working on them.

Your Electric testing screwdriver belongs in the bin.

The cable should be terminated but I wouldn't recommend using the screwdriver for safe isolation.

It's nearly impossible to say what is going on without seeing it.

If you post up your location perhaps one of the members will be near to you.

Thanks both... Especially Richard. Haha

I do worry what else I'll find in this house. Can a multimeter be used as a contact voltage tester? Thanks for the advise regarding the screwdriver!

You may well be reading phantom or ghost voltage !
Cheap voltage detectors or volt sticks can give erroneous readings !
Even digital style volt meters can give erroneous reading too
to be sure you need a low impedance analogue style volt meter.
they impose more of a load on the line, so if it's not real, it will disappear.

phantom voltage (or ghost voltage). The term is often used by electricians, and might be seen, for example, when measuring the voltage at a lighting fixture after removing the bulb. It's not unusual to measure phantom voltages of 180v volts when testing the wiring of ordinary 240 V circuits with a high-impedance instrument. While the voltage produced may read almost to the full supply voltage, the capacitance or mutual inductance between the wires of building wiring systems is typically quite low and incapable of supplying significant amounts of current.

agree with all the previous posts. for peace of mind get an electrician to check it for you. as ferg. said, post you location and one of us may be close enough to call.

Hate test screwdriver .Why do good brands of vde set give you one in the pack is beyond me. Side note just invested in a fluke t150 and really liking the earth shutter pin

Thank you all for your guidance big help. I followed the cable back, and it is cut off the other end too... Blooming screwdriver tester....so i shall remove the cable and the screwdriver from my belongings haha.

While I have you, what do you make of this mess in the photo? Surely a lot is not used and it is possible to get it all in 1 consumer unit? And remove a lot of it... There's even something in there that's ticking... I think that might be an old storage heater timer?

Discovered a bare live wire 20170911_222934 - EletriciansForums.net

agree. a tidy up into a nice shiny amd. 3 CU (12 way should do) would be my advice. a dual RCD DB, or an all RCBO jobby, depending on your budget. loads of qualified sparks on here would be happy to quote you, if we knew where you were.

QUOTE - [ i shall remove the cable and the screwdriver from my belongings haha. ]
non contact testers are good enough for a simple "DIY" yes/no test.
But should not be relied upon with reguards to human safety.

Reply to Discovered a bare live wire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock