Discuss Discrete / hidden CCTV advice required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My brother has asked me to look into installing some discrete / hidden CCTV cameras, with the ability for him to view the footage live via his smart phone.
He is sure his staff are helping themselves to cash from the till and would like some evidence to hand before he approaches the Police.
The shop is remote from his main business, hence the reason for the remote access.
Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jon

It would be simpler just to put conspicuous cameras around the shop, "for staff security".
That'll put off anyone thinking about theft.
Unless they're stupid.

If he still wants to attempt to catch them out, it will need pinhole cameras directly above the till drawer(s).

I don't think you can legally covertly film someone and then use the footage as evidence in a court of law. Weirdly the purportrater must be informed that they are being filmed! Eg. Warning signs.

Plenty of covert cameras out their in all sorts of shapes and sizes, best to to link to a recorder so that the evidence is preserved, you have to put signage up that cctv is in operation and why.

You can buy an epos interface so that the tills display is overlayed on cctv image above the till/ counter camera.

I once made £600 kit hire out of the owner of chip shop who was convinced one of his staff had nicked a battered fritter.....it’s all about proportion lol

It is legal to covertly film staff, we have used many before. They can be pinhole and fit into a roof told above the till or an alarm PIR for example. Include interface which shows what is being scanned through till I'm dvr screen and pin hole camera above till on hikvision dvr and you can view it remotely along with what is being scanned through the till. It all works well together and will give him his answers as to whether he is being conned or paranoid

It is legal to covertly film staff, we have used many before. They can be pinhole and fit into a roof told above the till or an alarm PIR for example. Include interface which shows what is being scanned through till I'm dvr screen and pin hole camera above till on hikvision dvr and you can view it remotely along with what is being scanned through the till. It all works well together and will give him his answers as to whether he is being conned or paranoid
It is legal to film covertly but can you us that film as evidence in court without signage

It is legal to film covertly but can you us that film as evidence in court without signage
If you have signage surely it’s not covert? If I was installing a covert system due to a problem I would make sure that I document everything I did including the rationale for doing so in the first place. Detail the system installed and ensure any date and times were correct. The integrity of any footage obtained also needs to be protected ie the original recording on a hard drive or memory card. This is all to maintain the primary evidence. If it is used in court you will then have to detail your actions and produce the video footage and an exhibit as part of your witness statement.
On the other hand you can tell everyone that there is a thieving so and so around and wack a big camera in for all to see. Good luck.

Reply to Discrete / hidden CCTV advice required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net