Discuss discussion: why impose an anti-dumping tax on China's solar products in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mechiel.eifesun

hi, everyone. this is mechiel, a working staff in a Chinese solar company. I am quite confused with european and american motive of imposing an anti-dumping campaign. Is that really helpful to this industry of theri own? For those who knows little about China, they keep distorting China's image as a manufacture nation. All goods from China is marked by them with the brands like cheap and low-quality. Yet, those rumors are not true, period.

I would like to say in a world of globalization, all things has been mutually intteracted and intertwined. The act of protection may finally end up with causing more harm to the aleady fragile economy.

they keep distorting China's image as a manufacture nation. All goods from China is marked by them with the brands like cheap and low-quality ........ The act of protection may finally end up with causing more harm to the aleady fragile economy.

Hi Mechiel, welcome to the forum. I think in general that China does have a tarnished image when it comes to quality. I personally know that China does manufacture some of the best quality goods on the market as well as some poor quality products. I think the problem lies with both Chinas manufacturing industry as well as the people who are buying and wanting the cheapest price with no regard for anything else.

As a Chinese worker I think you can take some comfort in knowing that Japan was in the same position in the 1970's and 80's. They also had a poor name for quality then but 20-25 years later they had found their position in the market with good quality products at prices that nobody else could match.

I don't think the anti-dumping campaign has anything to do with low quality Chinese products. It is simply trying to make sure that European and US manufacturers have an even playing field with the subsidised Chinese manufacturers. The worry, as far as I can tell, is that the US and European manufacturers will go out of business which leave the Chinese manufacturers the sole players in the market - the subsidy would then be removed and the price would presumably rise. This, clearly, is not good for the market.

On the whole i am against subsidies for industry. However, western Governments who subsidise all the BIG energy interests like Oil, Gas, Coal and Nuclear, who send our young men and women to WAR to fight and die for our energy supplies. They have no right to want to stop the chinese subsidising Solar.

The hypocrisy is particularly pungent!

If an import tariff is applied to chinese panels in the EU then PV goes up in price. At the moment the industry is quiet with excellent returns and the cheapest system costs ever. The tariff is designed to only ever go down, with this and the possible 15% VAT increase we could see PV go up.

Never really understood the war = oil argument but anyway.......

Surely the US and EU have every right to want the Chinese to stop subsidising their panel manufacturers. They also have every right to insist on import tariffs if the Chinese won't play nicely. This may or may not be a good idea seeing as we're all relying on China these days anyway. But regardless of whether it is the right thing to do, it is certainly within their rights.

I think a more damaging situation would be a Chinese-only PV manufacturing industry where prices are pushed higher. Surely this has to be avoided.

You may have been e-mailed by a German company over EU intervention for anti-dumping measures. I can see BMW and Mercedes being all for this as China now takes one third of their volume. Measure the value of that against the value to the German economy of a few companies making PV panels. No contest.

Reply to discussion: why impose an anti-dumping tax on China's solar products in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net