Discuss DISONECTION TIMES- Circuit Ratings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Davetherave

Stupid question that i need answering. How do what your circuit is rated at? I know that if its above or below 32A there are different disconnection times depending on the type of earthing system

Dave your question needs a bit more thought, as Tel says it's not very clear.

@OP. if you're asking what the disconnection times are, then, in general, it's 0.4secs for final circuits up to 32A. 5 secs for circuits >32A and for distribution circuits.

Dave look at page 25 in your OSG it expands on what Tel has just posted

as above. go by the fuse/MCB rating, even though the design current may be less.

Thats good then, I was made confused when i looked in the regs and saw B40 MCB with a disconnection time of 40ms

how do you know what your ciruit is rated at tho?

I your circuit is designed for 32 amps or under then the disconnection time is 0.4 seconds example RFC lighting radials under 32 amps

For final circuits over 32 amps and distribution circuits it 5 seconds examples a supply to a smaller DB,

These times relate to TN circuit arrangements

If you are in a rural area for example where the earthing arrangement is TT then the circuits are protected by and RCD where the disconnection time is 0.2 seconds for circuits under 32 amps, circuits above 32 amps and distribution circuits the time is 1 second. To get back to your question "how do you know what your circuit is rated at" then that is governed at the design stage, example, what am I wiring? a RFC then that must disconnect within 0.4 sec , because the OCPD (circuit breaker) will usually be a 32 amp breaker. Hope this helps

Reply to DISONECTION TIMES- Circuit Ratings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock