Discuss Dispatch locking and battery.. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a Citroen Dispatch 09 plate. Since the onset of the long winter we have had, I have been having intermittent troubles opening and locking it.
I only have the key at the moment as I accidentally drowned the remote fob - long story!!
Occasionally after a week or so of short work journeys the key will get really hard to turn in the lock, and I mean really hard to the point it feels like it might end up snapping. But if used in the rear door it unlocks easily.
I took it to Halfords who tested the battery and said it was fine and just needed a decent run out to charge it up. Now over the past three months I have probably taken it for a 30/40 mile trip around five times. The strange thing, in my mind, is that the result of these trips to charge it up is not apparent for at least 24hrs.
As an example, say I take the van out for a 30 mile trip on Monday. It will still be a pig to unlock on Tuesday and I might only do 8 miles that day, but on Wednesday it will be much easier to open again.

I would have thought the results of the longer journeys to give the battery a boost would be instantaneous?
Finally does anyone know any other reasons why this may be happening?

Oh, and just to add: even when the key will barely turn in the lock, the engine starts beautifully every time without an issue.

Thanking you. Neil

Could be the lock or locking mechanism needs a bit of lubrication.

I've had some success with stiff locks using GT85 dry lubricant. Never use oil in locks as it can gum them up.

Thanks for replies. I sort of assumed it was battery related due to it getting a bit better after run outs..

I am pretty hopeless when it comes to vans and cars etc..

I have some silicone spray and contact cleaner which I might give a little go. Although I must confess I tried a bit of wd40 - probably around Xmas - and it made little difference..

The central locking mechs require a lot less power than the starter needs so it wont be that mate, if no success try a different garage... Pretty anywhere apart from halfords and im sure youll be fine

The barrels on PSA vans of this age and actually most ages are dreadful. Had to replace the set on our 09 berlingo recently as they all went. Useless.

Barrel is very easy to change though. Allen key behind a plastic grommet in the door jamb and pry off the little cover on the door handle and it’ll slide out. Of course you’ll end up with different keys for locks and ignition though.

Shame you lost your fob as that’s the best solution. Our berlingo didn’t come with one which is annoying!

The central locking mechs require a lot less power than the starter needs so it wont be that mate, if no success try a different garage... Pretty anywhere apart from halfords and im sure youll be fine

Cheers Suffolk.

I tried getting in it this morning but the key will barely even go in now. So am sat at home waiting for an auto locksmith to come out. Going to hopefully get a new remote fob to bypass the icky lock barrel. Can't find the immobiliser card so am expecting a big bill!

Thanks again.

Cheers swd, not heard of graphite dust before. I tried some silicone spray and it is working like a dream again. I have ordered another proper key fob though as I do miss it, and it will actually save a bit of time not having to manually lock it 20 times a day!
The bloke that came out was saying are you sure you want to fork out for the cost of getting the immobiliser code again (as I have no card).....how much it is I said....£20 plus vat! I was expecting him to say £100 plus vat or similar...!

Cheers swd, not heard of graphite dust before. I tried some silicone spray and it is working like a dream again. I have ordered another proper key fob though as I do miss it, and it will actually save a bit of time not having to manually lock it 20 times a day!
The bloke that came out was saying are you sure you want to fork out for the cost of getting the immobiliser code again (as I have no card).....how much it is I said....£20 plus vat! I was expecting him to say £100 plus vat or similar...!
Graphite Powder Lock Lubricant Cylinder Car Padlock | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-Powder-Lock-Lubricant-Cylinder-Car-Padlock-/132540581035?clk_rvr_id=1490352137030&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzQxYWRiZjU2ZDFmNmVmZjk2MDUzNjdkN2I1MGM4OCIsImkiOiIxMzI1NDA1ODEwMzUiLCJ0cyI6MTUyMjk1MjE3MywidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjIwNTk0fQ%3D%3D&rmvSB=true

Woah...... sorry for the long link, a remote open/close unit should only cost £30 fit it yourself.

£30 - Don't say that to me! I have asked the bloke who came out today to sort it for me! He seemed a reasonable sort though so am happy to pay for the service. Will just be nice to have a proper key fob again..

also, check with your insurers, see if you are covered for lost keys. then you could get a fob FOC.

Reply to Dispatch locking and battery.. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net