Discuss Distribution Board on a Ring Main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Coffeemad

Whilst working in a new customers house recently I came across a Distribution Board fed by the upstairs ringmain. It has 2 x 2.5 T&E's feeding it, I've checked it is on the ring by switching the ring off, disconnecting the feeds and testing for ring continuity. I am not going any further with it as it is not part of my contract with the client. I was brought in to check and test circuits affected by a burst pipe.

It feeds the lights in the tank room, a water softner, and some bathroom LV lights on the floor below (3 storey house) I've remarked the circuits as they where wrong, but otherwise the load is ok. There are 4 other MCB's in the board, but they are spares.

The question I have is "is it something you would install"? To me it seems similar to installing 3 x FCU's, but a lot more expensive! Personally its not a route I would go, but it would be interesting to hear my fellow sparkies views

<< The question I have is "is it something you would install"? To me it seems similar to installing 3 x FCU's, but a lot more expensive! >>

It isn't expensive at all - if the CU was on the spark's van because it's one he's replaced on a previous job ;)

Not sure if I would do it though!!!

There is nothing in BS7671 prohibiting the use of a RFC as a distribution circuit.
Might cause problems with high Zs.
Obviously the bathroom lights will have to have RCD protection somewhere.

To be honest it's not the greatest of installs and I would always try not to install an enclosure as a FCU. With an FCU the largest fuse you can fit is a 13amp and that would pretty much cover any size cable you would spur off your ring final circuit, excluding bell wire.

The trouble with this is say in a years time someone wants to install a 7.5kw shower in that bathroom and like most clients they associate showers and plumbers. our part scope plumber quotes the job and thinks that is handy there is a board just above with spare ways. As we know if that Ring is protected by a 32amp breaker or fuse it will hold, and your going to wind up with a shower being fed of a ring final circuit.

IMO I would as you have done leave it but advise the client that it should be removed and if you want fit a smaller enclosure example a 4 way and to ensure that there is no possiblitly of extras can be added a switch, a main 20amp RCBO and 3 6amp MCBs

Reply to Distribution Board on a Ring Main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock