Discuss DIY enthusiasts and electrical work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You may be right Middy, I was just expressing my thoughts from my experiences from a while back, could be that some of the lash ups you have quoted are caused by, ex house bashers who know no difference

Nope, going back some time now, but some those sparks had only ever done industrial/commercial and were as rough as a badgers arse. Just because you label yourself as something, doesn't make you superior to someone else.

...pay peanuts and you get Monkeys, rings true, oh dear I could be in trouble here, but I speak my mind.

Same in all industries. Name your price for a job, and someone somewhere will do it for that price. There is always someone who has an urgent financial commitment to meet and had several other jobs cancelled at short notice etc.

The reality is that good professionals with a fantastic reputation are far less likely to end up in a position where they feel they have to take whatever is offered, so the cheap customer is more likely to get less skilled/diligent person. And perhaps worse still, whoever takes the job for very low pay is most likely going to resent it to a degree, and use the low pay to justify whatever shortcuts they need to take to get it done double quick. I've seen it countless times on site myself, where someone has taken a largish contract on for cheap, subsequently they don't have the manpower they need and they run around frantically swearing and complaining about the situation, and generally excusing anything less than ideal on the basis there isn't the time or money to do it a better way.

The above won't always be the case, but in general, I think it's fair and realistic.

I know it's par for the course on these boards to gently mock the efforts of the DIYer, but the reality is the majority of the millions of new light fittings and switches sold at retail stores in this country are currently not fitted by a professional. People buy a light fitting, or their new USB wall sockets etc, and they DIY it. And to be fair, the majority of those people will get on fine and not create any sort of dangerous situation. With increasing regulation all that work will for the first time demand a qualified spark.

I sort of agree with your comments. But the only reason why people attempt this type of work, is purely to save money. I gave up servicing my own vehicles many years ago. I still wince when I have to pay up, but I haven't the tools, time & expertise to service them.

Without suitable test equipment, the DIY'er has no idea whether the replacment socket he has fitted is safe, nor if the metal light luminaire is correctly earthed or not according to its Class.

I sort of agree with your comments. But the only reason why people attempt this type of work, is purely to save money. I gave up servicing my own vehicles many years ago. I still wince when I have to pay up, but I haven't the tools, time & expertise to service them.

Without suitable test equipment, the DIY'er has no idea whether the replacment socket he has fitted is safe, nor if the metal light luminaire is correctly earthed or not according to its Class.

I get that, but that's a separate issue. The point is that millions are doing these little jobs currently, and with more regulation, they will have to stop (albeit some won't).. So all that fairly uninteresting work will get picked up by the trade.

In your area alone how many hundreds of light fitting get swapped each week? Every time a house sells the owners typically run around and swap all their nice light fittings for basic roses. You want all that work? Knowing that they will resent paying at all and will want the cheapest price each time...

Nope, going back some time now, but some those sparks had only ever done industrial/commercial and were as rough as a badgers arse. Just because you label yourself as something, doesn't make you superior to someone else.
Not saying anyone is superior or inferior to anyone else Mate, just stating how it appears to me, and many othere I should imagine.

I'm not sure its about getting the 'work', but more about things being done safely & correctly. I see that you are a relatively new member, and nothing in you profile that suggests your competency.

If you care to peruse this forum. especially the DIY section, you witness dozens if not hundreds of threads of DIY'ers who have tried to install a new luminaire, replace faceplates etc and have become stumped from a fairly incurious task, to something that has left without power or lighting.

Its about educating people of their limitations.

This week my heating system packed up. One of zones vales packed up. I replaced it. Then my gas boiler wouldn't start. I tried to see if it was something simple, and surmised it was the fan. Could of done it myself, not withstanding the legality. But I chose & pay to have a competent gas engineer fault find & rectify.

I'm not sure its about getting the 'work', but more about things being done safely & correctly. I see that you are a relatively new member, and nothing in you profile that suggests your competency.

If you care to peruse this forum. especially the DIY section, you witness dozens if not hundreds of threads of DIY'ers who have tried to install a new luminaire, replace faceplates etc and have become stumped from a fairly incurious task, to something that has left without power or lighting.

Its about educating people of their limitations.

This week my heating system packed up. One of zones vales packed up. I replaced it. Then my gas boiler wouldn't start. I tried to see if it was something simple, and surmised it was the fan. Could of done it myself, not withstanding the legality. But I chose & pay to have a competent gas engineer fault find & rectify.

I do understand all you're saying. I understand that the reason for regulation is safety, and in my opinion, anyone who can't test their work shouldn't do any electrical work.

But my post you responded to was in relation to a discussion about the quality of work you often get from sparks on the treadmill, going from one basic job to the next. The reality is if no one can change their own lights/sockets, there is going to be a heck of a lot more of that type of work.

Getting a plumber to repair my boiler was difficult. After 5 or six calls one guy said he would come but it cost £100 to arrive at my door.

He came and asked for the money so I told him I would pay him before he left and could he look at the boiler.

We went to the bathroom and he glanced at it then said he didn't know the make and could I pay him now I said lucky you look there's information and drawings on the top of the boiler.

He read them and fiddled with it for a bit then said it was an electrical fault and I needed to call an electrician and could I pay him now. I said you are really lucky, I am an electrician

He pointed to a part of the boiler and said this valve isn't opening, so I checked for voltage and said it's got a supply your valve is stuck.

I don't know where to get a new one so can you pay me now. I gave him the drawings again and showed him the contact details for the supplier

He phoned them and ordered one. He said that it would take two days and cost £150 including fitting and could I pay him now. I gave him the £100 and said I would pay the rest when he got the boiler working

Two days later the job was done and I paid him the balance. Who said you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

well done. you actually managed to get a wet-pants to do some work for his money.

Reply to DIY enthusiasts and electrical work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net