Discuss (DIY) Extending the ring up the wall (insulation?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fleetwood

-
DIY
Reaction score
So, I'm now on my second electrical project (after the success of adding a double socket to mums attic!). In my "computer room" I'm using two extension leads to power 7 or 8 plugs, all from one single socket in the room. One of these plugs is for a powerful PC, the rest are for low power accessories (I'm a long way from the 3000W limit).

I'm planning on adding 9 sockets in total by extending the ring. Achieving this by three of the "triple" drywall sockets installed alongside each other in the stud wall above my desk.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

So I've lifted floorboards ready, and got all my three cutouts made where I want them. I have come across insulation in the wall as you can see in the pic. This is where I feel I am out of my depth as I'm not sure if it's OK to let my cables go up through this having caught glimpse of threads on here about overheating etc. Someone that cares less than me would just run the cables down and not think twice but I'm interested in how it should be done? Ultimately I could remove all the insulation for the section where the cabling will be present, but that seems a bit extreme...

I'm unsure about conduit etc also. What is the done thing when running two cables up the wall like this?

All help appreciated

make sure the cables are touching the plasterboard to dissipate the heat. The short distances involved here are unlikely to make much of a difference... others might disagree if you read the regs to the letter but it will still be better than what i saw recently where somebody had filled a cavity with expanding foam for 'insulation' and to stop a wind blowing through... bit of a pain as they put a screw in a cable when putting shelving up!

OP - If you're confident that you can connect this properly and safely [Although I'd still recommend getting the assistance of an electrician], the additional loading that you've described won't have any ill effects on 2.5mm cabling ,however if your total current requirement for all of the equipment is less than 3kw you could consider wiring the new sockets via a 13a fused connection unit - then you needn't worry about keeping it all as a ring.

If the cables are coming up from under the floor, there are a few things to think about.
Cable run against that copper pipe. Is it for heating?
Cable run along the line of the centre of the floorboard, not at the edge where you may be fixing the board back down.
How will you get from the inside of the wall there to under the floor?
Have a think.

Many thanks for all the replies and tips.

I did a basic test on the ring before starting, I found the positive and negative to have continuity but the earth did not. I was genuinely going to defer the whole job to an electrician if I couldn't fix that. I began checking sockets and fortunately, in a grotty old socket in a bedroom, was a detached earth. Overjoyed to find it and to see continuity once retested. I'm confident making the connections. I'll use wagoboxes secured to joists.

So then, from this thread I understand that I should be OK if I let the cables be gently pressed between the insulation and plasterboard. Any heat in that short 3 foot section will just dissipate through the copper cable itself (I foolishly hadn't thought about that but of course it will) and the wall. Overall load for this upstairs ring isn't particularly high, we do not use electric heaters etc.

Those copper pipes are indeed for heating, will keep my cables away and be careful re: floorboards.

"How will you get from the inside of the wall there to under the floor? " - that's my job for tomorrow - my plan was to drill upwards with an angled drill chuck through the "base plate" of the stud wall. If that didn't work my plan B was to cut a square in the plasterboard after removing the skirting and chiselling a gap for it. The room is to be redecorated shortly which is why I am doing this work now, so at least I can make a bit of mess and not worry!

RE: The FCU, I did consider it, thanks, tending towards extending the ring still though;

RE: Router :D I have a R7000 downstairs, what you see is being used as a switch, but you're quite right, it's only capable of 100 and gigabit would be nice, an upgrade is basically needed :)

What about the issues of RCD protection and proper testing of this alteration to ensure safety. Also did you check that the earthing and bonding were satisfactory ?

Thanks Gavin. I try to learn all I can before rushing in. Even had some books out of the library. Quite enjoying it, I've even been adding the flying earth leads to metal backboxes that were missing :p
At the same time I realise this is about the limit of what I can and should do, you will not catch me asking about or doing anything more involved than this.

RCD Protection: Yes, all good.
For the earthing and bonding, I checked continuity between the ring's earth and the copper pipes you see in the picture, there was continuity with a very low resistance reading (0.00 to 0.01 on my multimeter) which is what I was expecting so I delved no further - if there are more tests I should and can do please advise.

Shussssh, you where meant to keep quiet about that as long as I sent you the latex fist............

I did specify the 'extra large' one....

So, I'm now on my second electrical project (after the success of adding a double socket to mums attic!). In my "computer room" I'm using two extension leads to power 7 or 8 plugs, all from one single socket in the room. One of these plugs is for a powerful PC, the rest are for low power accessories (I'm a long way from the 3000W limit).

I'm planning on adding 9 sockets in total by extending the ring. Achieving this by three of the "triple" drywall sockets installed alongside each other in the stud wall above my desk.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

So I've lifted floorboards ready, and got all my three cutouts made where I want them. I have come across insulation in the wall as you can see in the pic. This is where I feel I am out of my depth as I'm not sure if it's OK to let my cables go up through this having caught glimpse of threads on here about overheating etc. Someone that cares less than me would just run the cables down and not think twice but I'm interested in how it should be done? Ultimately I could remove all the insulation for the section where the cabling will be present, but that seems a bit extreme...

I'm unsure about conduit etc also. What is the done thing when running two cables up the wall like this?

All help appreciated
Are you intending to extend the RFC as a ring, ie keeping the extra socket outlets within a ring formation, or are you intending to Spur the extra sockets, remember only 1 socket can be spurred from the RFC unless you spur to a (FSU) Fused Spur Unit and the add as many socket, within reason from that FSU, limiting the usage to 13Amps
In reality if you do it the spur method, all
you are doing is ridding yourself of the
extention leads, if you have, or can borrow a copy of BS 7671 and read Appendix 15 all will be explained.

Are you intending to extend the RFC as a ring, ie keeping the extra socket outlets within a ring formation, or are you intending to Spur the extra sockets,...

I'm planning on adding 9 sockets in total by extending the ring.

Sounds like the OP is extending the ring. (RFC :))

Reply to (DIY) Extending the ring up the wall (insulation?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net