• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • Please checkout the Solar PV Installers (Solar Panel Installers) directory if you're looking for a local solar installer. Also, add your company to it if you install Solar systems. :)

Discuss DIY Garden - Solar Lighting in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rob Collyer

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but hoping to gain a little help.

I want to purchase a solar panel that will power around 15 led's in a homemade garden lighting project.

I don't really know where to start in terms of what components to buy - there are tons of solar panels out there and led's and not sure how many batteries I would need in an array for storage.

I'm not after the really dim led's, nor the really bright ones - something mid range.

Does anyone know if there is a hard and fast rule to choosing all these components - maybe an online wizard or calculator to help me adjust the variables?

I'm new to electrics at the component level but am handy with a soldering iron haha! :)

Thanks for any direction!

get something like 40 watts panel, 24ah sla alarm battery, charge controller, hook it up to the leds that take 12v directly with no drivers,
60pcs LED Module Cool White 4 LEDS Module 12V DC Waterproof 5050 4 SMD LED Light | eBay
got a pack of those a year ago, used some for my kitchen, workshop and van, all still work fine, take little power.
if you see that the panel is struggling to charge the battery fully every day then add another one.

As you don't know the wattage you cannot calculate the loads you need to cover with batteries.Check the actual watts per LED and total up the watts * hours of use. Divide by 12(v) and then * by 1.2. That gives you a rough idea of the amp hours you need PER DAY(@12v) . The solar panel needs to supply the daily recharge and also the latency period. Design for winter time when days are very short and rarely sunny.

You can do some sums now using forward voltage/current. Volts*amps = watts. These lights are soooper bright which you did not want and will give pin ----- light I think.
Amazing how you can buy these from HK at that price when the minimum cost of small packet postage across the UK is around £1.00.

Reply to DIY Garden - Solar Lighting in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back