Discuss DIY LED Aquarium Lighting - Is this wiring correct? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jacks2High

Hi everyone,

Very new here, but could do with some advice. I am in the process of designing/building a LED aquarium light using 3W power LEDs.

I am using 6 cool White and 6 royal blue LEDs and running them from a 12 volt driver in a set of parallel series strings, as in the following schematic (apologies for the simplicity).

DIY LED Aquarium Lighting - Is this wiring correct? Electrician forum Schematic - EletriciansForums.net

Could someone tell me if this is a sensible/safe way to wire these LEDs? As I see it the 12 volts will be split across all three components giving 4 volts each on each LEDs (which is in the middle of the suggested forward voltage). These are the LEDs I am using (see the cool whites and royal blues) - Grow light, Hydroponics items in LED store on eBay!

and the driver I have is like this:

LED Strip Light / LED Driver Power Supply Transformer AC 110 - 240V - DC 12V/24V | eBay

I think I have calculated this correctly, but I am not an electrician and would welcome some professional opinions before I wire it all up?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Jack

looks OK to me. if those LEDs are each 3Watts, then you have a total load of 36Watts, so make sure the driver is at least 60Watts max.. and has a minimum wattage of <36Watts.( if a min. value is relevant ).

looks OK to me. if those LEDs are each 3Watts, then you have a total load of 36Watts, so make sure the driver is at least 60Watts max.. and has a minimum wattage of <36Watts.( if a min. value is relevant ).

hi there, thanks for taking the time to reply. I was looking at the led driver I sent a link to and it's a constant voltage type but doesn't have a constant current, does this make a difference?

best regards

j

it's the LEDs that determine the current. they pull what they want. so if your load is 36watts, then the current will be watts/volts. i.e. 36/12 =3amps. so your driver needs to be able to deliver a constant current > 3A or 36Watts. so a 40Watt or 50Watt will suffice. bear in mind that LEDs have a switch on surge, so to be safe, go for a 60Watt ( 5A ) driver.

it's the LEDs that determine the current. they pull what they want. so if your load is 36watts, then the current will be watts/volts. i.e. 36/12 =3amps. so your driver needs to be able to deliver a constant current > 3A or 36Watts. so a 40Watt or 50Watt will suffice. bear in mind that LEDs have a switch on surge, so to be safe, go for a 60Watt ( 5A ) driver.

Arhh ok, sorry one more question, what about if I used a constant voltage supply and used a resistor in series to limit the current. I have read that this is a cheaper way to go. However would I need to replace one of my LEDs witha resistors or could I just use say a 1ohm resistor to limit the current somehow and lose very little voltage?

Stick a 5A fuse in.

Reply to DIY LED Aquarium Lighting - Is this wiring correct? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock