• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I am not a qualified electrician, but have been asked to install downlights in a garage by a family friend.
There is currently a flouresent tube in there, which be used as the starting point for the series of lights.
I just want to know as a non qualified electrician I can carry out this work as a diyer in someone else’s house, as I am not changing the circuit? Or would this need to be signed off?

You will have to give them a Minor Work Certificate for the install.
As above, you are liable if anything goes wrong with the circuit, so if there is a fire due to the wiring then you pay for all the damages.

Hi super resin and welcome to the forum, as others are saying you will need to test and cert the work as you are altering the circuit , if it was a straight swap I would say crack on but with what you propose it needs doing right and you need to cover yourself.

I have installed downlights many times and have the ability to do it.
I just want to know if he will need to get it tested/signed off or not. He is helping, just trying to help him out?
Thanks

I have installed downlights many times and have the ability to do it.
I just want to know if he will need to get it tested/signed off or not. He is helping, just trying to help him out
I will now give the f77king answer .considering you are not qualified. and many sparks are .you are doing some body out of work that is they are trained and insured.considering you are playing with fire .
would take engine out and strip it .and put it back!:mad:

This is not a change or new circuit as it is already there. I am just adding lights to the already wired circuit. It is a simple job, but I just want to know am I allowed to do this as a diyer?

See the posts #2 and #5. Your question has already been answered mate.

From April 2013 electrical work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings, is notifiable to a local building control body where the work includes:

• the installation of a new circuit, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage); or
• the replacement of a consumer unit (fusebox); or
• any alteration or addition to an existing circuit in a special location*, whether at low voltage (typically 230 V) or extra-low voltage

*A special location is a room containing a bath or shower, swimming pool or a sauna heater.

From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.

Reply to DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back