Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss DIY lighting in garage in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Super_resin

Super_resin EF Member

Hi,
    I am not a qualified electrician, but have been asked to install downlights in a garage by a family friend.
    There is currently a flouresent tube in there, which be used as the starting point for the series of lights.
    I just want to know as a non qualified electrician I can carry out this work as a diyer in someone else’s house, as I am not changing the circuit? Or would this need to be signed off?

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Do you have any test equipment?

3. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Walk away, anything goes wrong you will be liable no matter how good a friend you have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Murdoch

But you are changing the circuit ........ its not a like for like unit swap.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

You will have to give them a Minor Work Certificate for the install.
    As above, you are liable if anything goes wrong with the circuit, so if there is a fire due to the wiring then you pay for all the damages.

• Like Like x 2
  6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

why do you think you can change the lighting in the garage .
    if it was me your friend. I would say go on knock you self out .;)

7. GMES

GMES Admin Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Hi super resin and welcome to the forum, as others are saying you will need to test and cert the work as you are altering the circuit , if it was a straight swap I would say crack on but with what you propose it needs doing right and you need to cover yourself.

8. Super_resin

Super_resin EF Member

This is not a change or new circuit as it is already there. I am just adding lights to the already wired circuit. It is a simple job, but I just want to know am I allowed to do this as a diyer?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

is a bottom .;)

10. Murdoch

MATE: You are extending cables .......... and changing the load ....... its not a like for like swap

Are you charging your "friend"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Theoretically yes but on a practical level then no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Super_resin

Super_resin EF Member

I have installed downlights many times and have the ability to do it.
    I just want to know if he will need to get it tested/signed off or not. He is helping, just trying to help him out?
    Thanks

13. buzzlightyear

I will now give the f77king answer .considering you are not qualified. and many sparks are .you are doing some body out of work that is they are trained and insured.considering you are playing with fire .
    would take engine out and strip it .and put it back!:mad:

14. Murdoch

I note you have answered my question about test equipment, so lets assume its no ..... so how on earth do you know ANYTHING you install is safe?

You don't

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Having seen so often the appalling standard of some downlight installations, just because you have done it before means little. Doing it so it works is one thing, doing it correctly and testing that it is safe is entirely different.

• Agree Agree x 5