Discuss DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could I just add my penny’s worth to the OP after asking a question.

What is your qualification in with regards to trade or job?

Now for my penny’s worth:

It may be true that the work you are intending to carry out does not need Part P registered but the work never the less does still need certification as does all new work.

You ARE changing the characteristics of the circuit no matter what you think.

You ARE altering the load no matter what you think.

You ARE therefore required to consider the cable size, OCPD rating, switch rating and how the cables are run and in what construction medium.

You ARE NOT (from your experience) considering or even checking the earthing arrangements and bonding of the main property and that of the garage that you are working on.

No matter how good a friend you consider him or her to be, please be in no doubt that your friend WILL come to you in the event that one of his family is hurt or killed or if the garage burns down as a result of your electrical work, whether you are charging for it or not! Indeed, the only way that he or she won’t come to you is if he or she is the unfortunate victim of a faulty installation himself.

Your testing equipment, from your own text, ‘is limited’, and I would assume that you have never heard of a Zs reading or a ZsDB reading. Let alone a Ze and PFC reading. You would not know that it is not a good idea to export a TN-C-S earthing system and you would not know why this would be.

Your assumption that a ‘third person’ will sign off the installation is very blasé. Your assumption is that a third person will sign his name to your work and that you will be free of any possibilty of future problems or deaths as this tin pot sparks will end up taking full responsibility for your work. Who ever you find to do this has;

1) got to be nuts!
2) not much between his own ears
3) doesn’t realise what he is signing for
4) no respect for the dangers of bad electrical installations.
5) all of the above.

To be frank my friend, and this is not meant to be sarcastic in any way, you have no idea what danger you could be placing on your friend or his family, and you have no idea what you are doing.

Professional electricians are trained at college for a number of years for this work and have numerous qualifications as a consequence.

There are too many people like yourself, who think that pulling a cable through, stripping back the coloured bit on the end, and then screwing the shiny piece to the back of a light or socket is all it takes and this is the exact reason that Part P was invented and is part of Law. Unfortunately for your friend, Part P doesn’t cover the work that you are considering, and in my opinion has never gone far enough.

But you crack on son. You have no more respect for electrical work than you have for diggings hole and eventually this will be your undoing.

OP ain't been seen since Thursday evening, so think you've wasted your time :)

@Steveo, had a butchers of his profile. Asked one question when he joined last year, then nothing till you upset him the other day Murdoch, when he went 'dislike' silly. :D

He most prob has a 'dislike' button on his keyboard that got stuck.

@Steveo, had a butchers of his profile. Asked one question when he joined last year, then nothing till you upset him the other day Murdoch, when he went 'dislike' silly. :D

But did I upset him ?

We can only speculate unless he actually offers an opinion on the topic ............................................

But did I upset him ?

We can only speculate unless he actually offers an opinion on the topic ............................................

I didn't even comment with him, that why I think he's jealous of me.... but then again who isn't?? :)

I didn't even comment with him, that why I think he's jealous of me.... but then again who isn't?? :)
damn it, you've missed your afternoon stroll across Morecombe Bay. High tide was 16.37 hrs.:(:(:(.

Reply to DIY lighting in garage in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net