Discuss DIY sockets tests when selling house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

When we bought our house a few years ago (which the wife said we would never move out of) I added a number of sockets to the upstairs ring final using some lovely surface mounted trunking. I did quite a bit of research at the time to make sure it was safe and tested them all with a plug in tester and also tested continuity of wiring between all sockets with a multimeter. As the extension to the ring is in trunking, the joins are accessible for inspection.

Since I did the the work we had a new kitchen which was wired by a proper electrician and included a new consumer unit which I have a full NCEIC test certificate for which includes tests of the RCD for the upstairs ring.

Now the wife has decided that we are moving house so obviously the buyer will be interested in safety certs for the electrics.

My question is this:
As the spark tested the new consumer unit, does that cover the the sockets that I added?

I have looked online but can't find much like info only that the works I did should be installed and tested in line with bs7671 which I am happy with on the installation side but unsure of the testing side.

Thanks in advance
Ben

As long as you've got a cert for the major works you'll be OK, although your minor addition should have been tested and inspected in accordance with the regulations I doubt it'll ever be picked up. The contractor should have tested and carried out limited inspections of the upstairs ring as part of the consumer unit change.

The new consumer unit testing and certification included the circuits you modified, so that should cover what you did yourself. So do not worry about it, If you are feeling a little too honest the worse that would happen is you would need to fork out for an indemnity policy costing around £100. so don't worry about it.

When the electrician installed the new consumer unit did you let him/her know regarding the scope of your additions, if posted (less personal & contractors details) we could advise also maybe a phone call to the electrician to confirm?

Don't get an indemnity they're the worst money making racket ever for solicitors.
I'm sure your work is fine, but if it was dangerous, the indemnity would be no use whatsoever if t new owners electrocute them selves!
It only covers for devaluation of the house due to enforcement of safety standards. I know, as we had no choice but to waste 150 quid on one!
Regarding the electrics, just say a s far as you know it all complies with bs7671 but the buyer should satisfy themselves of the condition and leave it at that.

The new consumer unit testing and certification included the circuits you modified, so that should cover what you did yourself.
The certification for the replacement distribution board will certify only the replacement of the distribution board and nothing else. Whilst circuits would have been tested to ensure that ADS requirements are satisfied this absolutely cannot and would not replace the initial verification of the work when it was done.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, very helpful and I appreciate pros giving advice for free.

DIY electrics are weird - I can carry out the work but ought to test it but then only the pros are likely to have the full testing kit.

I think I'll just be honest about the fact the work has been done and wait and see. Hopefully the test certificate for the consumer unit will be enough.

Thanks again

PS sage advice SWD, she also now wants me to (and I quote) " give the rooms a quick coat of paint". Nothing about painting has ever been quick about painting in my experience....

As above. Do not volunteer anything. If the buyer wants to see any paperwork, that is the time to wheel out the NICEIC cert.
The certificate states that the new consumer unit and the circuits attached have been tested to BS7671. That's all that is required.

The certification for the replacement distribution board will certify only the replacement of the distribution board and nothing else. Whilst circuits would have been tested to ensure that ADS requirements are satisfied this absolutely cannot and would not replace the initial verification of the work when it was done.
That's why I posted regarding certificate as it may show tests to that circuit been done.

A brief look at page 5 seems that the upstairs RFC has been tested if your confident in the work that you did I would just offer this and leave it as that if not you would just be complicating matters.

Agree...do not volunteer anything. You can't make it any different from what it is/what you've got, so don't point out any possible pitfalls. The new owners will probably take out your surface wiring anyway, so don't give them the chance to charge you for that too. As for indemnities, in my experience lawyers do not make money from them, but they are also virtually useless as the cover never really covers the actual risk...however they are useful because they can often make the problem go away. The result is a quick fix for a perceived problem, and the receiving lawyer won't check it properly...so when the new owner comes to rely on it and finds out it is worthless, it rebounds onto their lawyer for accepting it in the first place...which some would see as a good result!

Reply to DIY sockets tests when selling house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net