Discuss DIY Wind turbine/ generator in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mckee

Don't really know if anyone else has started a thread on here about making your own wind turbine, if not I'll be the first :)

I've a log cabin in my garden with a bar, pool table, seating area etc, it currently has an electrical supply. It has light fittings inside, a few sockets ( the most to be plugged in is the CD player and phone charger etc) and a 28w 2d over the bbq and decking area. So all in all not really drawing the most power.

The other day a thought came to my head about making my own turbine, to power the cabin free of charge, and was just wondering has anyone made their own already or put much thought into it?

I was thinking of using a car alternator, into a 12v battery regulator, which chargers a car battery, and then a invertor coming from the battery......or something across that idea.

Any advice would be great, thanks

You can buy wind turbine kits, not sure about using an alternator. In theory it would work, but you'd have to get the gearing right (I think). When I was a nipper I made a wind turbine using a bike dynamo for a school project and it worked quite well - powered a 9v light bulb anyway!

if you were using a car alternator you would,nt need a voltage regulator as there is one built in to the alternator,it was the old dynamo,s that used a seperate regulator.

Thanks for the replies, i also heard a we dc motor from a treadmill would work too. Yea was thinking that's the only problem with the altonator, getting the right gearing.

And the other problem i was thinking of was when the head of the turbine was turning on a bearing to get the direction of the wind, would the cable from the alternator/motor going down the pole to the control panel not get damaged, with the head spinning around, if you's under stand?

You also need braking or feathering mechanisms else they can run away in high winds

Reply to DIY Wind turbine/ generator in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net