Discuss DNO consent in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

digital48

We've had 3.99kW of panels installed so the installer had to get DNO consent. Should I, as the client, be provided with a copy of the consent?

Sorry, I'm not clear...

We're commissioned and generating and are waiting for the contract from EDF. Does the copy of the DNO consent letter come from EDF with the contract?

Your installer should have made an application on your behalf to Northern Powergrid. It would have been either a G83 or G59. Strictly speaking, based on the information you've provided it should have been a G59 (pre-installation) application whereas G83s can be done retrospectively (i.e. within 30 days after installation). The G59 basically gives information about your system and asks for permission from the DNO to connect it to the National Grid. The G83 tells the DNO that you have done it and assumes it will be ok.
I presume EDF is your FiT provider? They won't know anything about it.

I believe it was a G59 as they submitted it a couple of months ago and were talking about having to wait six or so weeks for a response.

EDF is/will be our Fit provider: we've had confirmation of the application and they have said it should qualify for the 43.3p rate. If they'll know nothing about the DNO consent, do I assume that I should automatically get a copy of it from my installer? Or do Northern Powergrid inform me direct?

Northern powergrid should send a letter to both your installer and yourself. How long this takes depends on how quickly your installer has sent off the commissioning forms. They should have received general approval before the installation took place, I would've thought they'd have told you this, otherwise it's unlikely they'd risk installing anything above 3.68kW.

If your worried, just call your installer and ask for a copy of the approval letter.

I don't know about Northern Powergrid but he DNOs we deal with are SSE and Scottish Power. SSE won't allow a SB4000 with out prior permission while Scottish Power will as long as the system is under 4kWp. So your installer may not have needed prior approval. I have found that the DNOs change there rules on a regular basis.

Tom

ive installed twenty 3.92kw systems in soctland in the past three weeks and we only asked for a G83/2 for 12 of them as 8 were in one postcode and 4 in another and scottish power said yes no problems but as for the other ones we just installed them and sent a G83/1 after they were completed there was no issues about them being over 3.68kw. Are you saying anything from 3.68 to 4kw needs dno approval??
your right about each dno having different takes on the systems being fitted.

Thanks for all of the advice and information. I've just received an emailed copy of the permission and all is well. The installation has been accepted with the proviso that the inverter's maximum voltage setting may have to be reduced if the neighbours electronics start going up in smoke.

Reply to DNO consent in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net