Discuss DNO earthing arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A big Hi to all on here, please be gentle with me it my fist time !!
It's only a quick one but do the DNO have a legal requirement to supply suitable earthing at the point of origin of metered supply.
many thanks advance

No they are not legally bound to supply an earth but if they do then they must maintain it.

I would agree with the above.
In general they will supply an earth but it is not absolutely required.

From the ESQCR regulations:
Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer’s installation. In this regulation the expression “new connection” means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer’s installations.

Why do dno provide tncs conection when the new connection is soley for a static caravan park.. Too many times i see this then distributed around park which i know is ok as distribution but then straight to hook up box socket which is agginst esqcr.! Why dont they not provide an earth terminsl forcing the electrical contractor to provide their own earth arrangement and rcd at origin!!

The answer probably is,
It is cheap and simple for the DNO to provide TNCS for the site offices and so on, what the customer does with the supply is, well, up to the customer.

Cheaper and simpler than providing and maintaining an earth connection.?? Dont agree with that but i dont work for dno! If it wasnt provided it wouldnt be used by people who think they know what there doing

Reply to DNO earthing arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net