Discuss DNO Fine or Jail. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

moose

-
Reaction score
We all say, the fairies came and pull the fuses, so ive been told, Cough Cough, but what is the actual offense for this as say an employer insists on doing this and you do keep reminding him about the errors of there ways, (Do it or you are sacked, Ive got 12 kids to feed so you have to, lol) but who actually gets fined or jail and can the Client report you for this if he or so wishes(now it seems scarey if they dont want to pay up).

This is something I would like to know or maybe directed to a page covering this..

Thanks guys for some sensible answers.

Was looking at this the other night funnily enough. There may be others but here are the two that were relatively straightforward to find. Bear in mind the DNO seals are part of electrical plant provided by the DNO.

Electricity Act 1989 Schedule 6 para.6
A person who intentionally or by culpable negligence damages or allows to be damaged—
(a)any electric line or electrical plant provided by an electricity distributor; or
(b)any electricity meter provided by an electricity supplier,
shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 para.25
No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation, a street electrical fixture or to another distributor’s network without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Warning £2 penalty for tampering with these seals, (on brass plaque on meter board). East midlands electricity. lol

About 10 years ago I was speaking with some one from nedl after a tenant literally jumped the meter with a set of jump leads and a towel wrapped round the handle to insulate. He said that if they did prosecute it's a £2k fine which is a personal fine. All the sparks stood their ground and refused to do it so it wasn't too bad.

Electricity Act 1989 Schedule 6 para.6
A person who intentionally or by culpable negligence damages or allows to be damaged—
(

No Jail but, Could easilly be both Spark and his / her employer

Level on the scale.. .. Amount of fine
1 ................................ £200
2 ............................. .. £500
3 ............................ £1,000
4 ............................. £2,500
5 ............................. £5,000]

I never know how those seals seem to vanish. But if you want to re seal after use £25 is a bargin: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=350849458733

Sorry but in real world just not going to happen especially if you reseal it. Been down that road with eon

For a prosecution to happen, unless it's a private prosecution (rare) then the CPS will only take it to court if it's deemed in the public interest. Is it in the public interest to prosecute an electrician who was acting in order to work safely, has stolen no electricity, quite likely had to see the fuse in order to complete her standard IET-approved paperwork, and has damaged nothing more than a pair of wire seals? Doesn't sound like it to me. Then if it goes to court the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you committed the offence (you have to prove nothing). It's probably going to be difficult for them to do that unless you've incriminated yourself. As we all know you are at no point obliged to say anything. Therefore it might be considered prudent to simply say (and write) nothing to indicate that you have pulled a DNO fuse. How you recorded on your EIC / EICR what the DNO fuse was if it's neither labelled nor visible is a tricky one. :)

I doubt any employment tribunal would find in favour or an employer sacking you for refusing to engage in an unlawful act.

If you were SURE that you could back the reasons for your actions,and demonstrate knowledge in the subject,i think the likelihood of a successful prosecution would be slim. I can think of many situations,in work and life,where you require permission,certification and licencing,where if you did so without,you would be fine. An easy one is First Aid. If the situation demanded it,and you were capable,it is possible that serious medical procedure,even surgery,could be administered. Now,if the recipient lived or died,would you be prosecuted? ...Possible,but not likely. Going back to the "sacred fuse pull" argument,i think the fact that lots of people are doing it,with lots of DNO's knowing it,yet with no identified (to my limited knowledge) prosecutions,tells us the story.....now stop worrying about this and concentrate on something more important,like why there are less Bumble-bees...

Not really an answer, but the HSE were at the NIC tech talks in York and he did comment on pulling main fuses to 'work safely'. He did say that the HSE would not prosecute as it clearly states in the EAWR that all precautions must be taken to ensure safe isolation and working practices.... well until their arse is in a sling anyway!!!

But the meters are nothing to do with HSE neither would any prosecution. While the DNO or provider is willing to install a isolator then there is nothing to stop you isolating safely after the meter.

No Jail but, Could easilly be both Spark and his / her employer

Level on the scale.. .. Amount of fine
1 ................................ £200
2 ............................. .. £500
3 ............................ £1,000
4 ............................. £2,500
5 ............................. £5,000]

and does pullin the bullit damage the head?

no...it dont does it

Thank you for a great read, some good sensible comments, thought i was in the wrong forum for a minute, no realy thanks.

Noticed a thank thing like near posts made under it says Thanks made ? So if i new how thank you all.

Reply to DNO Fine or Jail. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock