Discuss DNO fuse - who can remove it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, as my profile says I'm not a sparky but I've wired up the odd light switch and socket! I know my limitations and take safety very seriously but I like learning. I have no intention of ever doing this but can someone explain who can remove the 100 amp fuse to a domestic CU. What is a "competent person" in layman's language? I've trawled the internet (dangerous I know) and can find no definitive answer.

It all depends on who the supplier is! There are some suppliers who will allow registered sparks to pull fuses...

And no you won't find a definitive answer ......

Hi KP and welcome to the Forum !
The fuse is owned and maintained by your DNO company and so they have the say.
Competent Person, as @Murdoch says is not uniquely defined, but there are guides that Competent Person Schemes use to assist in making a judgement (on line if you hunt). My own view is if something went horribly wrong and you were explaining yourself in court one question might be "please explain to us why you felt competent to do this work?" and then what would be an acceptable answer ...

Hi, as my profile says I'm not a sparky but I've wired up the odd light switch and socket! I know my limitations and take safety very seriously but I like learning. I have no intention of ever doing this but can someone explain who can remove the 100 amp fuse to a domestic CU. What is a "competent person" in layman's language? I've trawled the internet (dangerous I know) and can find no definitive answer
in order to pull the DNO fuse .is to insure that the person dose not work live .the electricity work act . e.g. by ask the DNO to put a isolator in
after the DNO fuse before the work is started down to the cost to the customer. the competent person is person that has been inspected
by their body .or fully quilifed to do so.

This is documented in 7671 pretty clearly.
See the note after 537.1.3 - only when authorised by the DNO

Years ago anyone doing a consumer unit change would just pull the fuse.Does anyone know of any electrician being prosecuted for doing so ?.

i know of a spark got threatened to be taken to court by DNO
told him to mentation electricity work act .

My DNO authorises me to pull their main fuse, 'cos I pay 500 squids a year to Elecsa.

Bear with me @Midwest but I'm not sure being a member of Elecsa* (*or any other body) does automatically authorise you - It should do I agree. I'm not sure it actually does. Unless you know that Elecsa* have an agreement with the DNO that their members have automatic authorisation.

If push came to shove - who's lawyers would back down first.

Then after it's pulled - it's resealed right but without a seal ID who did it.

Bear with me @Midwest but I'm not sure being a member of Elecsa* (*or any other body) does automatically authorise you - It should do I agree. I'm not sure it actually does. Unless you know that Elecsa* have an agreement with the DNO that their members have automatic authorisation.

again electricity work act !

I dire any body to challenge me on pulling a DNO cut out .
send in the men to pull the fuse . or see you in a few hours or put me in a 100amp isolator.by the way I have not seen one isolator fitted out by the suppliers for smart meters yet .

Reactions: PEG

Then after it's pulled - it's resealed right but without a seal ID who did it.

My DNO SSE (some others do as well), have a written policy that gives permission for electricians registered with an approved scheme (they don't include Stroma :)), to pull their main fuse to carry out certain tasks (like replacing main tails or CU). They will supply temporary sticky seals (no Phocidae jokes please), for you to re-seal and inform them with yours & seals details etc.

You should check out your local DNO policy on the subject.

Reply to DNO fuse - who can remove it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net