Discuss DNO fuse - who can remove it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can't wait for all the 'just because your in a scheme, doesn't make you competent' splashback :rolleyes:

My DNO SSE (some others do as well), have a written policy that gives permission for electricians registered with an approved scheme (they don't include Stroma :)), to pull their main fuse to carry out certain tasks (like replacing main tails or CU). They will supply temporary sticky seals (no Phocidae jokes please), for you to re-seal and inform them with yours & seals details etc.

You should check out your local DNO policy on the subject.

And that is exactly the way it should be. We should start calling the anti tamper on the main fuse, the Phocidae and see if it catches on!

Lets be honest a lot of the new DNO cut out fuses are quite stable and with no load are reasonably safe to pull. a lot of the older ones i wouldnt dare touch with a barge pole, even the DNO wont pull them they will cut the cable outside and rather replace the cutout entirely due to health and safety. Yes, we shouldn't do it without permission but i suspect i am not the only one to have done it in the past ;-) . its a risk assessment you have to make on each job and only you can decide is it worth it from a safety viewpoint and in case the proverbial hits the fan? i think you would only get the DNO on your case if it goes wrong, otherwise they have no proof who cut the seal and pulled it. Around here western power distribution will come pull the fuse for £60+vat.... add another £100 to fit a double pole isolator... hence why so many fuses get pulled.
I had a job a few months back with really old tails and fuse board that needed upgrading, they came out pulled fuse, i had new tails ready to go with an isolator to fit myself. they pulled fuse and were there less than an hour sat in van drinking tea!

I do recall reading there was some steps towards a nationwide approach on this subject, seems daft that its different in different areas. Perhaps after Brexit :rolleyes:

My DNO SSE (some others do as well), have a written policy that gives permission for electricians registered with an approved scheme (they don't include Stroma :)), to pull their main fuse to carry out certain tasks (like replacing main tails or CU). They will supply temporary sticky seals (no Phocidae jokes please), for you to re-seal and inform them with yours & seals details etc.

Several years ago, while registered with Elecsa, I applied to SSE for some temporary seals. I'm now registered with Stroma. Am I now prohibited from using the remaining seals? :D

I dire any body to challenge me on pulling a DNO cut out .
send in the men to pull the fuse . or see you in a few hours or put me in a 100amp isolator.by the way I have not seen one isolator fitted out by the suppliers for smart meters yet .

Mmmm,had Eon out,for a new meter (telemetry function disabled),to replace original two meters and clock,on RHT tariff.

Requested isolator to provide single point of isolation,they agreed need,as did NWE who had updated the head,and they had a mini meltdown.

They said it could not be fitted before the meter,which would be a simple two pole. No admission,but i would say it provides a possible future means of turning off their meter's telemetry.

Fitting after the meter,with it's 2nd RHT feed,would require a 4 pole isolator,which the lad had with him,but was unsure how to configure (4 weeks into the job;))

Now waiting for a "Tech Spec"?,from Eon,to come back and sort.

Not holding one's breath...it will be their fifth visit :(

Several years ago, while registered with Elecsa, I applied to SSE for some temporary seals. I'm now registered with Stroma. Am I now prohibited from using the remaining seals? :D

You can post them to me, your seals, not your Phocidae animals. :)

Hi guys.
You need to be WI-1 and OP3 authorised. Amen!

Your lot came down here a few years ago on a raid and stayed - SSE. They allow us mere mortals to pull their main fuse if I'm a sparks registered with a CPS, no idea how that fits in with WI-1 or OP3, whatever that might be? :)

I wonder why the OP wants to know this?
I fully understand why professionals are a bit skeptical about "mere mortals" asking questions about how it all works but I can assure you that I have no intention of going near the main fuse no matter what you may think. I am an amateur and always will be but that doesn't preclude me from learning how things work. I also follow a lot of what NASA does but that doesn't mean I want to be an astronaut! In any case thanks for all your replies.

As far as I am aware you need to be lv authorised to work on cut-out, including removing or replacing main fuse. Even then I was only allowed to work on out going side, different authorisation for incoming. Remember next fuse could well be 400 or 500 amp, main problem is fault arc, not electric shock, hence all clothing worn when working on live equipment is arc proof, and face mask and gauntlets worn. Previous poster right to say many types of cut-out not to be worked on live, espevially metal-clad ones. Having said all that, if the fuse was removed by known competent sparks, who also would not touch one of it looked dodgy, we would usually turn a blind eye. Sometimes when some one phoned fault desk and said 80 amp fuse had blown and needed replacing, question would be asked "how do you know what size fuse it is"?

Reply to DNO fuse - who can remove it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net