Discuss DNO price for moving their service cable & meter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi People.

Please can you help.
Yes I have tried a search but all I have found is that their web site should give a price.
Anyhow.. enough waffling.
A friend is going to convert their garage into a bedroom. The DNO supply and meter are in the garage.
The hubby want to move it to the outside of the house. I have told her that they don't NEED to move it if they don't want to. It will be expensive. Yes the CU is also in the garage and will also need to be moved, if they go with the DNO change.
The DNO is Electricity North West. Their site says they should submit all the info for the change and then they will quote.
I was wondering, before they do that, has anyone had Electricity North West do something similar? How much did they charge?

Ta.

Think of a number, any number and double it.

You may think I'm trying to be funny, but that's about as good as guess as you will get!

It depends on how far, what else they've got on, and in my experience MAINLY the person you speak to!

I know my question is very vague.
I was wondering has anyone had Electricity North West do something similar?
How much did they charge?
Do they have a minimum charge? Would they be looking at over a grand? Moving about 8 meters. Digging a trench to the new position as well, I suppose.

Wilko is right.
My dad works for enw and they charge about 1200 for a straight forward move. Thats normally you having to dig the trench yourself.
Can be alot more depending on circumstances.
It normally gets contracted out to another firm as well

Got a job in 2weeks where DNO are taking the cable/cutout/meter out of a property and plonking in a box outside for ÂŁ800 +vat. The cable is long enough and wont need to be shortened even. About 30 mins job.

Why if the DNO cut out is being move MUST you move the CU??? Cant the CU stay where it is?

Got a job in 2weeks where DNO are taking the cable/cutout/meter out of a property and plonking in a box outside for ÂŁ800 +vat. The cable is long enough and wont need to be shortened even. About 30 mins job.

Why if the DNO cut out is being move MUST you move the CU??? Cant the CU stay where it is?

The cable will have to be extended for this job, I think. Depending on the existing route.
Her hubby wants all the services moving, to make more room...
There is also the gas meter in the garage, which he wants moving.
I think this is going to be expensive........

It's all relative. They need an extra bedroom.
I guess the option is to move house.
Might be a tad more than moving a couple of meters and the garage refurb.

Going back to the OP.
Once the meter has been moved. What's the plan on how to get the supply to the fuseboard?
Where is that? Is it also in the garage??

Going back to the OP.
Once the meter has been moved. What's the plan on how to get the supply to the fuseboard?
Where is that? Is it also in the garage??

All services are in the garage, including the CU.
The hubby wants to move everything out of the garage. "More room then."
I've told them it will be very expensive. Cheaper to have it build into a cupboard.

They will need an electrician to move the fuseboard. This will almost certainly mean it will need upgrading to meet the current regs.

I advise them to engage a REGISTERED electrician to advise them on the best way forward. He/she can also advise/liaise with the DNO.

That would be much better than doing it through a third party ( @Spoon ) on an Internet forum!

They will need an electrician to move the fuseboard. This will almost certainly mean it will need upgrading to meet the current regs.

I advise them to engage a REGISTERED electrician to advise them on the best way forward. He/she can also advise/liaise with the DNO.

I have informed them of this.

That would be much better than doing it through a third party ( @Spoon ) on an Internet forum!

lmao... That's for that mate... Made my day.

Reply to DNO price for moving their service cable & meter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net