Discuss DNO requesting 'test cert' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

londonlec

Hi Guys,

I have UK PN altering a service at a job for me, according to their paperwork they want:

Before your meter can be connected,UK Power Networks, and those responsiblefor the electricity meter, require a completedElectrical Installation Completion Certificatein line with the current edition of the IEERegulations BS7671 (Institute of Electrical​
Engineers).

I assume they are asking for an EICR?!

Then it says:

For the work to start, our delivery teamwill ask you for a copy of the BS7671 testcertificate. Please make sure the certificatecontains the electrician’s name, companyname, address and their registrationnumber from the organisation that has
accredited them.

Now my NICEIC registration doesn't cover me to do EICRs, does anyone know if I can just use plain EasyCert forms?

Many thanks :smile:

(damn I've put this in the wrong place, mods can you move?)

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Its an existing installation, the DNO have disconnected in the street (due to abstraction), and now they are reinstating the cut out.

Just do and give them an EICR to satisfy their requirements for dead test results. Dont think in a month of Sundays that any scheme would say anything. Besides its not a full EICR, its just the dead tests mate. Give them what they want which is written proof that there is an earth return path for each circuit before they energize the incomer. The are just watching their backs.

had this once, started a rewire, customer asked DNO to fix a proper meter (there was a pre-pay one).
dno geezer come, took off the old meter, sealed the service head, refused to fit new one until you fax them a cert
they wanted a dead test, took couple of days and lots of time on the phone to sort it out.

UK power networks are the most lazy awkward *******s i know. Take forever to respond and half the time they make things more difficult that what they already are!!

This sounds like a nightmare.

I think I'll call them tomorrow, finding a meter box with their requested dimensons seems impossible too.

I'm worried the jointers will blow the job out (for whatever pathetic reason) and thus charge my customer for an aborted visit.

Had dno do this couple of times before. Now and again they also ask for someone to be on the job on the day of final connection or twist about earth rod been only 8 metres away they just covering there --- same as we do

Best just to do as they ask

How come NICEIC won't let you issue an EICR? Do you have your 2391 or 2395?
whats all this about?
its rubbish i
tell you...thats what it is....and i`ll tell you this n all....
you dont need to be a member of a scam to carry out ECRs...nor to issue certs for them...and if the NIC or any of the others tell you otherwise...then tell them where to go as well....

- - - Updated - - -

and while were at it...whats the C&G 2391 got to do with ECRs?

whats all this about?
its rubbish i
tell you...thats what it is....and i`ll tell you this n all....
you dont need to be a member of a scam to carry out ECRs...nor to issue certs for them...and if the NIC or any of the others tell you otherwise...then tell them where to go as well....

- - - Updated - - -

and while were at it...whats the C&G 2391 got to do with ECRs?

I was under the impression that you needed the testing and inspection cert to be able to issue certificates. Is this not the case? If not I could have done with being a member of this forum a long time ago :)

whats all this about?
its rubbish i
tell you...thats what it is

Spot on, when I joined ELECSA they said "you can't carry out EICRs unless you pay the extra £xxxx" I pointed out I can do what I damn well like without paying them for anything other than notifyable work. They didn't like it, but when I asked them what the extra fee covered there was a lot of huffing and puffing but they couldn't come up with a single thing.

I was under the impression that you needed the testing and inspection cert to be able to issue certificates. Is this not the case? If not I could have done with being a member of this forum a long time ago :)

No you don't and you don't need any other certificates either. What you must be is competant, and one way of demonstrating that is to pass an exam.

Spot on, when I joined ELECSA they said "you can't carry out EICRs unless you pay the extra £xxxx" I pointed out I can do what I damn well like without paying them for anything other than notifyable work. They didn't like it, but when I asked them what the extra fee covered there was a lot of huffing and puffing but they couldn't come up with a single thing.

When I joined ELECSA, they advised me that I don''t need the extra cert for EICRs, and probably only useful if doing a lot of them, e.g. for councils, insurance companies etc, who want to see formal assessment. If doing just the occaisional EICR, they advised me not to bother! It was refreshing not to have them try to sell me something I don't really need!

you dont need to be registered to issue a PIR,
had a talk with ELECSA one day, they said I can sign off PIR`s, but cant notify them thru their website.
PIR`s do not have to be notified. sorted.

Yeah I do have all the certs but NIC wanted another few hundred quid for basically nothing, so I didn't bother!

Another quick question:
I need to fit a switch fuse in a separate meter box beside the DNO box, how can I pass the tails between boxes? I'm sure the gas meter boxes can't be drilled for pipework, is it the same for us?

Thanks guys for your help

When I joined ELECSA, they advised me that I don''t need the extra cert for EICRs, and probably only useful if doing a lot of them, e.g. for councils, insurance companies etc, who want to see formal assessment. If doing just the occaisional EICR, they advised me not to bother! It was refreshing not to have them try to sell me something I don't really need!
well should we all give them a congratulatory slap on the back then for not trying to scam you?..
just ridiculous..it really is...

Reply to DNO requesting 'test cert' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net