Discuss DNO Supply cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

Working on a job today supplying power from a garage to a powered sliding gate.
When digging a trench I have come across the DNO cable only dug in about 6-8" in the ground with no warnings or nothing else on it.
It comes from the nearest telegraph pole and is cleated to the side before going into the ground.

we have exposed a good metre of it at its depth and I feel in its current position it's very vulnerable to damage.

Is is this worthy of a call to the DNO?

One of my teams came across an MV supply cable at around 300mm below surface a few weeks ago. It was on private property and it was within a meter of where it was shown on the site drawings so we left it. Usually we only report them if they're shallower than expected and not on the drawings. The UK DNO's might have different preferences though so maybe wait for the advice of others.

Well i would get in touch with them, and start kicking up merry hell!! What if you, or the homeowner had gone through that cable with a metal tool, without a wooden handle or other insulating material?? They have a duty of care, the very ''least'' they can do, is to provide some form of mechanical protection to their cable!!

True,Eng,but i have had this on several occasions with all the different services,and if within the boundaries of the property,they usually say " the levels have been altered",if they send anyone to inspect,invariably it is "serviceable" and recommend warning tape and the owner/manager to keep a note of depth/position. My parents house,built in the 60's,is on the corner of a cul-de-sac where all 30+ properties have their PILS incomer 6" to 12" below drive level. This i know for certain because my mate,Sean,hit one with an axe 20 years ago,digging a root out,and got flash burns chest,neck and face! ....reminds me to get the tape out every time...

True,Eng,but i have had this on several occasions with all the different services,and if within the boundaries of the property,they usually say " the levels have been altered",if they send anyone to inspect,invariably it is "serviceable" and recommend warning tape and the owner/manager to keep a note of depth/position. My parents house,built in the 60's,is on the corner of a cul-de-sac where all 30+ properties have their PILS incomer 6" to 12" below drive level. This i know for certain because my mate,Sean,hit one with an axe 20 years ago,digging a root out,and got flash burns chest,neck and face! ....reminds me to get the tape out every time...[/QUOTE]

Disgraceful, IMO, and shows the dangers .....and what good would tape do at such a depth, use of a pick, even, could be devastating.
I would have thought the service provider would have crapped themselves in such a situation and would leave themselves open to serious prosecution.

Why would a electrical DNO cable be going up going up a telegraph which would have BT cables on?
Either it's not a telegraph pole or it may be a joint user pole.In some circumstances BT and the DNO have an agreement to share poles,on the proviso that the electricity cables are at the top and a distance of 500mm seperation between them and phone cables.

Working on a job today supplying power from a garage to a powered sliding gate.
When digging a trench I have come across the DNO cable only dug in about 6-8" in the ground with no warnings or nothing else on it.
It comes from the nearest telegraph pole and is cleated to the side before going into the ground.

we have exposed a good metre of it at its depth and I feel in its current position it's very vulnerable to damage.

Is is this worthy of a call to the DNO?
Suggest inform DNO, your job done. Their responsibility. However many years ago, there was no set distance for cables to be buired by the then Electricity Boards. When digging if the ground very hard i.e. rock etc thats where the cable went. Nowadays on private land usually buried min 450mm deep. some DNO's will duct it and tape. Other DNO's will just put cable directly into trench with tape. If Mole used to install a cable, various depths could be obtained. Generally though nowadays DNO's will install cables deeper and safely. The other thing to remember is, some people landscape their property and remove a great deal of soil etc leaving all utilities nearer the surface.

Suggest inform DNO, your job done. Their responsibility. However many years ago, there was no set distance for cables to be buired by the then Electricity Boards. When digging if the ground very hard i.e. rock etc thats where the cable went. Nowadays on private land usually buried min 450mm deep. some DNO's will duct it and tape. Other DNO's will just put cable directly into trench with tape. If Mole used to install a cable, various depths could be obtained. Generally though nowadays DNO's will install cables deeper and safely. The other thing to remember is, some people landscape their property and remove a great deal of soil etc leaving all utilities nearer the surface.

There has Always been recommended burial depths for the suppliers, certainly since i've been in the industry there has anyway!!

If the ground level of a garden roughly matches the level of the public footpath, then that won't be the case!! Even back in the days of the regional electricity boards, it was mainly contractors that dug the trenches and laid the cables, usually under supervision. In this case, it's obvious that no supervision was present during the OP's cable being installed!! lol!!

Reply to DNO Supply cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net