Discuss dno timescales and process in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulsamuel1984

What are peoples experience of DNO timescales in their areas?

If you are connecting a PV system under G59 regs, the DNO is required to witness test the system. What is the timescale for DNO's to come and do this, assuming that no reinforcement is required on the grid.

I would just like to also check if it is definitely the case that an installation has to be connected and signed off by DNO to be eligible for the FIT's. I know this is not the case in other countrys and there has beeen a few whispers that this is being looked into in the UK.

The DNO will I think witness test the system at their option. If you are using a G59 certified inverter for a straightforward system, I doubt they will want to come out. Submit the paperwork and see what they say, or give them a call.
Regards
Bruce

See other posts on here about 'Eligibility Date'.

The customer should pre-notify the electricity supplier (<50kW under FiTS) or OFGEM (>50kW systems under ROO-FIT) of their intention to register before commissioning (they should get proof of delivery for this paperwork too - don't just rely on first class post or even recorded delivery*). When commissioning is complete they should follow-up immediately with all required paperwork.

I don't believe all the paperwork can be considered to be correctly completed (including the testing that is required) unless the system is connected to the grid.

* The Post Office regularly ignore the need to get a signature on recorded delivery for items delivered to large businesses. When you later check their tracker system they will just say 'it got lost'. Send stuff by fax and follow-up with a courier delivered pack. This is very important coming up to the 1st August deadline.

The DNO will most likely not bother witness testing if its under 50kw and using G59/2 type approved inverters (most of the SMA's, Solarmax and Power One's are), although that depends on where you are in the country some are worse (or better) than others. I know EON West if commissioning is done by parties on their approved list wont witness - most at present are so busy this is generally the case.

Over 50kw they will almost certainly want to witness test and may drop niceities on you like asking for a phase to be dropped under load (Scottish power). Also over 50kw we find that they will generally want a secondary G59 panel not just type approval of the inverters.

As for timescales, lol thats anybody's guess, CE / ENWL slow (upto 10wk).. Western Power / EON West - East quick sometimes (3-4wk)

I know a few people who are off-grid and have got FiTs OK.

Yeah of course off grid never are connected and get fits at the large scale rate currently, from everything that Ive read in Ofgems guidance no where does it say that anything has to be connected just that it has to be 'capable of operating'. Maybe its worded that way because of the off grid, Ive asked Ofgem and surprise surprise they dont know!

Just for everyone's Info I've had it confirmed from Ofgem that indeed you do NOT need to be connected in order to commission a site.

There's no proof required, obviously you have to sign the declaration that states what you have said is true, and the lovely lady at Ofgem did say 'remember no fibbing'! as you can be audited both during and after the process.

It'll make me sleep easier at night when I have to connect that 100kw array in the week before 1st Aug now I'm not reliant on the DNO turning up.

@whlphil, Did not the letter like ours, say they needed to witness the commissioning?

I guess you could always do it twice :bucktooth:

Just for everyone's Info I've had it confirmed from Ofgem that indeed you do NOT need to be connected in order to commission a site.

There's no proof required, obviously you have to sign the declaration that states what you have said is true, and the lovely lady at Ofgem did say 'remember no fibbing'! as you can be audited both during and after the process.

It'll make me sleep easier at night when I have to connect that 100kw array in the week before 1st Aug now I'm not reliant on the DNO turning up.

This does take the pressure of a little bit , maybe ?
As i understand it you we needed the import / export mpan from the beginning and could not add it after it has e been excepted !
We have two awaiting commissioning one at 82 kw with western power on the 8th and the other is a 30 kw / 60 kw combined with UK power networks , but in order to obtain the relevant mpans they both have needed the relevant commissioning dates to be booked first , or so we thought was the case . But maybe not ?
How have others got on , pm me if you would rather not slant any particular part of the process in public ?

We spoke to a few people who said yeah you need to prove connection with witness testing but YEDL say all they do is witness test they dont send any paperwork to Ofgem..

so rang Ofgem again (I'm getting to be on first name terms by this point) got someone who knew what they were talking about who initially said yes you can prove you are connected by showing us the witness cert... but then backed down when I said we dont get a witness cert from YEDL all they do is sign your paperwork.

"... ah Right well actually all you have to do is sign the declaration (which is a legal doc) and make sure your not fibbing because we might check..."

She followed it up later that afternoon with email confirming that indeed you dont need to be connected, so now just waiting for ROO FIT accred to be finalised due any day.

What have others found on timescales for ROO FIT accred timescales?

The ROO-FIT date is based on the date you SUBMITTED a valid application, not when they get round to doing it ....

The ROO-FIT date is based on the date you SUBMITTED a valid application, not when they get round to doing it ....

Yeah but they do have the right to refuse the application, I know thats not going to happen in this case as its a two stage application for ROOFIT and this has moevd to the second stage, at 1st stage if it fails they send it back after doing a little bit of checking but once it passes that if there's any failure points in the 2nd stage they call you to discuss and sort them out.

I know in general its a paperwork exercise, and you can more or less go down the points they can refuse on and check them off yourself by reading 'guidance for generators' but it doesnt stop me from worrying! ;-)

We spoke to a few people who said yeah you need to prove connection with witness testing but YEDL say all they do is witness test they dont send any paperwork to Ofgem..

so rang Ofgem again (I'm getting to be on first name terms by this point) got someone who knew what they were talking about who initially said yes you can prove you are connected by showing us the witness cert... but then backed down when I said we dont get a witness cert from YEDL all they do is sign your paperwork.

"... ah Right well actually all you have to do is sign the declaration (which is a legal doc) and make sure your not fibbing because we might check..."

She followed it up later that afternoon with email confirming that indeed you dont need to be connected, so now just waiting for ROO FIT accred to be finalised due any day.

What have others found on timescales for ROO FIT accred timescales?

The trouble with that is you will need to connect to the grid in order to commission it , well we do with the fronious cl 36 inverters on the 82 kw system . So they could catch you out that way if you have not been above board .
To be honest there is probably a way around this but we truly would rather not go down that route if we can help it !

The trouble with that is you will need to connect to the grid in order to commission it , well we do with the fronious cl 36 inverters on the 82 kw system . So they could catch you out that way if you have not been above board .
To be honest there is probably a way around this but we truly would rather not go down that route if we can help it !

Yep know what you mean, the definition within guidance is that commissioning is everything that would be standard practise to demonstrate that the plant is capable of operating... or something like that off the top of my head.. the important word being capable not actually working

Of course that means youve got to demonstrate how you know its capable but I can think my way round that :bucktooth:

Reply to dno timescales and process in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net