Discuss DNO's stating that gen meters are not "Ofgem Approved" in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a couple of enquiries lately from clients who have been (somewhat surprisingly) informed by their DNO that the generation meter is not Ofgem approved. Why, all of a sudden, are DNO's deciding that MID approval is not adequate/accepted? Don't they understand the history/nature of MID/Ofgem approval?

Anyone else experiencing this annoying trend?

The only experience I have had is contributing to the other thread on it.

1. The DNO is 100% wrong if they are trying to limit the range of generation meters being used to OFGEM approved.

2. I cannot see why they are interested anyway as they are not involved in the contract that is about the gererated energy reading. Indeed it is not clear on the G83 appendix 3 form whether they are asking for the generation meter type and serial number or the existing import meter type and serial number. All it says is "Electricity meter(s) make and model:"

Regards
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, yes, I saw your other comment in the PRO1D thread (?), I can't see any reason why this has suddenly become a supposed issue....

Are these pre December 12Th installs ?
Could they be looking at eventually making the fit applicant install one of their "approved" meters but then restarting their fits contract from that point ?
I know it smacks of conspiracy theory , but !
We nearly fell foul of something similar on a couple of +50kW jobs last July with inport /export meters that could not get fitted in time .

Last edited:
This is pretty much as I understand it:

"The MID (Measuring Instruments Directive) is a new European Union (EU) directive aimed at creating a single market for measuring instruments across the EU. MID took effect on October 30, 2006. The scope of this Directive is to guarantee to the users a high level of safety and reliability of the measuring instruments, protected against data corruption, ensuring in the meantime the free circulation of certified measuring instruments within the EU. Annexes define how the instruments can be declared as compliant to MID. Notified bodies are authorised to carry out testing, and the certification issued by one of the bodies shall be accepted within the EU within any limitations. This MID is a replacement for the old OFGEM approval in the UK"

I suspect it is a misundertsanding by someone within a DNO who has not kept up to date. Coincidentally, I had a few messages today about planners who until today had not realised the conservation area permitted development rules had changed in 2008. If they can be behind the times I am sure the DNOs can similarly be.

Are the DNO concerned over MID B meters - which are generally not supposed to be used for 'billing purposes'? OFGEM give no guidance on this as far as I can find.

But I also fail to see what business it is of theirs to get involved with meter equipment that is owned by a householder.

I'll check with a couple of contacts and see what I can find out.

NPower aren't a DNO are they? I agree that the generation meter is none of the DNO's business but in this case wouldn't NPower simply be the energy supplier/FIT provider?

The guidance from OFGEM to electricity suppliers simply states:

All meters used in the FIT scheme must comply with the relevant metering legislation. These include:
Schedule 7 to the Electricity Act 1989
The Meters (Approval of Pattern or Construction and Manner of Installation) Regulations 1998, SI/1565
The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, SI/1566
The Electricity (Approval of Pattern or Construction and Installation and Certification) (Amendment) Regulations 2002, SI/3129
The Measuring Instruments (EC Requirements) (Electrical Energy Meters) Regulations 1995, SI/2607
The Measuring Instruments (EC Requirements) (Electrical Energy Meters) (Amendment) Regulations 2002, SI/3082
The Measuring Instruments (Active Electrical Energy Meters) Regulations 2006, SI/1679

The very last one listed there, with ref SI/1679, is the UK legislation that implements the EU Directive on MID meters.

what they mean is that it's not on the list they're using internally to confirm the meters are certified. Problem with MID stuff is there is not central list for it, so each electricity company needs to add each meter manually to their lists if they've not come across them before.

We had similar issues with the inepro pro75D meters a while back, but got it resolved by sending a photo of the meter showing the MID accreditation mark on it, and that meter was then added to the lists of 2 of the suppliers who'd been having problems with it.

Thanks Gavin, that could well be the root of it. Mind you, it's the Iskra MT171 which is a very well established model but you never know! I've just got my hands on an Ofgem approval cert for these meters from way back in 1992 so that should put this issue to rest hopefully.

probably just a balls up then. I get the impression that some of their meter lists aren't very easy to search / more than one list etc.

Reply to DNO's stating that gen meters are not "Ofgem Approved" in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock