Discuss Do electricians actually need to have the 17th Edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The JIB/ECS card is one single card.
There is not a JIB card and an ECS card.
My brother passed his 2391 qualification just before the 17th edition was introduced.
Because the date on his Certificate was after the introduction of the 17th, the JIB assumed he had obtained his 2391 while the 17th was in force.
They showed on his card that not only did he have the 2391 but also the 2382.
My brother has never obtained the 2382.

So it is possible that the 2382 is not required, as long as the core electrical qualifications are obtained while the 17th edition is in force.
However in the not very far future the 18th will be required.

Ditto for me, I re-registered with the JIB in July 2011, using my previous registration with them in the 1980's. I did not have to show them any evidence of qualification, they had those on record, apparently. Took my 2382 in December 2012. Of course I had to do the HS test for the JIB, before they'd issue me a card.

My latest card expired July this year, and as I work for myself and unlikely to work for any companies in the foreseeable future, won't be bothering to renew.

So along with competence and a good working knowledge of BS 7671, do you have PL insurance, and a tester which has recently been calibrated.

Out of interest why does your grandson need your help? Surely his employer should be doing this?

I can’t remember how many times I have renewed my card, but I do recall having to take the 16th edition after the 2004 harmonised colours update, and then the 17th after that was introduced.

I just spoke with the JIB over the phone and I was advised that you only need to hold the 2382 for the "registered electricians scheme".

You don't need the 2382 to obtain a Gold card unless you opt for the above scheme.

What do you disagree with?

I am applying for my gold card now with the following

Level 3 tech cert.
AM2
NVQ3
2394/5

I asked do I need the 2382, the reply was, no, you only need the 2382 for the registered electricians scheme.

So you passed your core qualifications while the 17th was in force.
If you had passed during the 15th or 16th, you would need the 2382.
Once the 18th edition is introduced, you will need that to renew.
Why you should need the 2382 to join the registered electrician scheme is a mystery.

So you passed your core qualifications while the 17th was in force.
If you had passed during the 15th or 16th, you would need the 2382.
Once the 18th edition is introduced, you will need that to renew.
Why you should need the 2382 to join the registered electrician scheme is a mystery.

That is just what the jib told me. The "registered electrician" thing is something new from the JIB as far as i understand.

There appears a massive mess of qualifications that are designed to confuse both the knowledgeable and the unknowing. I queried a job that was advertised on Indeed website last year. All they required you to have was "17th Edition"
No tech qualifications mentioned, I e-mailed as I was bored at the time and was told they didn't require any tech qualifications, just "17th Edition" exam....

Reply to Do electricians actually need to have the 17th Edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net