Discuss Do I need conduit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Stan McArdle

Im considering my options for fitting an outside socket for the garden.

If I was to take a spur from a socket on the inside wall and drill through, would the 2.5mm Twin and E cable between the two sockets need to be fed through conduit or trunking? Or can I simply run it through the wall?

Thanks

As above but a short stab of conduit takes away the chance of cable damage from any sharp points on the bricks.

Not a requirement of the regs. Daz
I think I've asked this before but why do you call every single member Daz :confused:
It would be nice if you could make the effort to try and remember a few of our names. :)

I think I've asked this before but why do you call every single member Daz :confused:
It would be nice if you could make the effort to try and remember a few of our names. :)

My memory has become full over the years and so I can only remember one name now. Unfortunately it is my own. Luckily every so often I meet another 'Daz' so it becomes appropriate.

I shall desist from ending my posts with my name if you prefer. Daz (woops)

I'd slide a section of conduit in the hole. Partly its easier to get the cable through as they can't get into the gap. Second reduces the risk of any building work higher up causing debris to fall and damage cables.

No keep using it. Daz;)

Thanks for all the replies guys! And ill make sure to keep an eye out for those pesky hamsters! ;)

Personally I would conduit it through to the outside socket, keeps out little critters and any possible condensation, although there is usually vent for that at bottom of socket.

Could be wrong, something I heard, was told that if the wall is of a certain depth it should be tubed, probably nonsense. Daz

And I imagine you'd have to drill a 20mm hole right through to accommodate conduit, a bit OTT for 18 inches of 2.5mm cable, and generally you'd bash out a rear knockout in the existing inside socket back box so it's easier to use a smaller diameter masonry bit and avoid messing up the backbox. Always go slightly downhill from inside to out too and try to drill the very last bit without hammer action to avoid a huge lump of masonry falling off on the outside. ;)

Was told that you should conduit if passing through cavity to provide some protection against cavity wall insulation ????

Reply to Do I need conduit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock