Discuss Do I need MCS etc? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

i cant really go into it to much as a bit top secret, but am going into something with someone who has developed something where it needs an Inveryer connecting up that's grid tied a G83 etc so it cuts off and what not etc and so on la de da, anyway, so he wants me took hook this Inverter up but do t know if I need to be registered with mcs or someone as I'm connecting up a 230v supply to the grid, it's not "directly" from PV or wind etc, feed in tariffs etc do not enter in to it.

any ideas?

I'll e plain that better, we have a bank of batteries that are connected to an Inverter basically. Can I just hook this up or do I need to be registered with anyone or tell anyone?

Yes I was thinking that but don't really know where to start and wondered if someone could enlighten me as to what I may have to do.

Presumably I can fiddle around with DC and batteries and inverters etc? It's not something I've touched before, it's a new one on me.

Generally no, but you will need to send a connection to connect application to the DNO, they will want to know how you are able to ensure it meets all standars required, this is usually where we put .MCS registered'
Call the DNO and see if they are happy with just the application, as long as you have the test cert G83/2 for the inverter they should be happy with that.

It's in prototype stage at the moment and am hooking it up next week but not to the grid, i just don't want to hook something up to the grid with fully 100% understand what I can and cannot do and what's allowed. It's not micro generation as its from stored power.

if you got battery storage then hook up some circuits (lighting etc) and not bother to sell back to the grid. (they dont pay very well anyway).
use a double pole change over switches between grid and inverter output.
edit: immersion tank heater is anoter good way of dealing with excess of power daytime and having hot water in the evening...

Last edited:
I've hooked up a set of batteries to be fed from PV to the grid. All loads primarily come from the batteries and the gird picks up the slack, any excess gets exported. It's all covered by a changeover to keep the loads running in case of gird failure, capacity dependant of course.

DNO just need to know capacity of system and a wiring diagram if you're going to be exporting. Just let them know within 30 days of commissioning. As for needing to be MCS accredited... I'd say you'd become a sub contractor by definition and if I remember right you don't need to be. It spells it out clear as mud in the MCS regulations.

Reply to Do I need MCS etc? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock