Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Do I need to add RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sparkymatt1987

sparkymatt1987 Guest

Right, the situation is I'm changing some faulty 12volt transformers for some downlights in a kitchen. The lighting circuit is not RCD protected. Now, I know that the switch wires are buried in plaster less than 50mm from the surface. Because I've worked on this circuit and have to issue a minor works certificate. Do I HAVE to provide the RCD protection or is it something I note down in the details of departures from BS7671.

Thanks

2. mackers

mackers Guest

no like for like replacement!

3. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    No mw cert needed for like for like replacements, notification or Rcd to be added. Anyone can undertake like for like replacements...... Apparently lol.

4. sparkymatt1987

sparkymatt1987 Guest

Ok, say the lighting circuit was to be added to. Would it be my responsibility to to change the MCB for an RCBO. If it was a ring circuit then I know this would have to be done but seen as its a lighting circuit I'm not 100%

5. rich.250

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    Everything 'you' install has to comply with the latest bs7671.
    You don't have to bring the rest up to it.

6. sparkymatt1987

sparkymatt1987 Guest

So your saying I wouldn't add RCD protection unless I were to, say, bury a cable in capping. I would not the lack of RCD in the deviations

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you could argue that the existing circuit has buried cable in a wall and as you have altered that circuit, the whole circuit should be RCD protected. i would only feel obliged to fit an RCD on a lighting circuit mod. if it was in a special location, e.g. bathroom.

8. rich.250

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    Yeh as long as what you fit is up to scratch mate you'll be fine, can't go taking responsibility for previous sparks work from years ago....
    And bringing that up to scratch could take an age lol

9. sparkymatt1987

sparkymatt1987 Guest

Thank you for the advise. I have my napit assessment coming up next Friday and don't want the assessor to look at my certificates and fail me because I didnt add RCD protection. Thanks again

10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Is a small job like changing downlights going to be a sufficiently "difficult" job for Napit to assess your competence? I'd say its maintenance which any tom, dick or harry, or indeed susan, could do

11. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    this job may not be for his assessment, just one where the assessor may pick it up from his certs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sparkymatt1987

sparkymatt1987 Guest

It's not the job I will be assesed on sorry. I have a complete rewire to show the chap. It's just I'm told he will be looking through my previous test Certs and don't want him to see I've altered a circuit and the RCD type and trip times on the cert have n/a in them.

13. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    well, if he picks up on it, just tell him that the job was for a like 4 like fittings replacement and that if you had altered the circuit, you would have fitted RCD to cover cables buried in walls.. sorted.