Discuss Do I need to be ECA/NIC approved contractor to do work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could possibly guide me on the right track.

Ok, been in the trade for over 5 years now, got levels 2, 3, 2391, regs

My own business is registered with Elecsa as domestic is my main work load. My old employer carried out work mainly on commercial and some industrial so i have a bit of background there.

I have the 2M liability and until now thought was enough.

Until this week where I have been asked to work in a shop to replace a faulty hand wash unit, then to run some outside lights from existing db which is a 3 phase board. I have no problems completing the work but how does this get signed off? Do i use the Elecsa certs i have to complete this job?

getting a bit lost :-(

cheers Jon

yeah i know what you mean they are the same as any. I'm just a bit confused as like my partner said " you can't work there you are only insured for domestic" i understand i need to be covered for commercial on my liability (at least i think i do) but its the whole approved contractor thing im also lost with. if nothing needs signing off why do contractors need the nic approved contractor membership? (as its blinkin pricey lol)

wow thought NIC were the highest

- - - Updated - - -

so, my main question really is can i work on commercial (providing i have the correct liability) with only being registered with Elecsa?

You dont need to be registered. Just competant

...or even competent (at spelling even... Gosh so embarresed)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the work requires it then all you need do is provide a BS7671 certificate,you can get a disc and make your own logos to add on them(trading name etc),available for about £5 off fleabay and looks the part.Personally i cant get enough commercial work as all the big firms take it all locally so no point me bothering with approved status,any scraps i do get hold of i print out my own BS7671 certs! PL insurance wont cost that much more just phone them and alter the policy,mine went up about £40 a year to up it from £2m to £5m.

one thing that has not, as yet, been mentioned is..... make sure your PL insurancecovers you for 3 phase. a lot of policies exclude this.

Reply to Do I need to be ECA/NIC approved contractor to do work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock