Discuss Do neon indicators affect Zs test results? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know that having a neon in the circuit screws up IR testing, but I just wondered if the same applies to Zs testing.

Many thanks

Whenever there's a low IR thread on here someone always pipes up 'is there a neon?'. But bear in mind it would only affect a L-N test, as would any other load connected. A neon will make no difference at all to IR tests to earth.

And resistance wise, I think the neons are 200k Ohms (ish), so even if they were in the circuit, they're not going to make an impact on a measurement that's 1 Ohm :)

I'm sorry Wilko, maybe I'm just being dense, which is more than likely :confused: but how would a resistance of 200k ohms not have an impact?

Cheers

I'm sorry Wilko, maybe I'm just being dense, which is more than likely :confused: but how would a resistance of 200k ohms not have an impact?

Cheers
Hi Joe - just imagining the earth fault loop impedance is expected to be about an Ohm (or so) and if somehow a neon was wired in error from L to E, then its 1 Ohm in parallel with 200,000 Ohms, which is 1 Ohm :)

Hi Joe - just imagining the earth fault loop impedance is expected to be about an Ohm (or so) and if somehow a neon was wired in error from L to E, then its 1 Ohm in parallel with 200,000 Ohms, which is 1 Ohm :)
your maths has had me flabbergasted and on 2nd thoughts my flabber has been gasted again. the answer is actually 0.999995 ohms. get it right. :D

Cheers, I was of course forgetting that the neon is in parallel not series. Time to go to Specsavers, my special glasses are obviously playing up :rolleyes:

Reply to Do neon indicators affect Zs test results? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net