Discuss do you need the pat testing qualification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris-

do i need the pat testing qualification or can i just use my pat tester and then keep a log or do you have to give results to niceic or council

dont you DARE go asking the NIC if you need pat testing certs!!...they will of course tell you they do and that they also have a `scheme` you can join...lol.....dont get robbed by em fella.....you dont need a C&G cert to pat test......but education and local authorotys may want you to be C&G for carrying out pat testing in schools/council property....

You need to be competent only to PAT test as far as im aware ....BUT! the problem lies in the senerio of someone getting injured or killed on an item you declared safe, having a qualification will go along way to backing your competence up in court and will be good for your defence that the item was fine at the time of testing, without it you may develope a fear of picking soap up!

The p.a.t cert is the same as inspecting & testing 2391/2392 scenario,you just need to be competant to do the job,the certificate is preferred but nothing in the law that says you cant carry on without,for instance there are a lot of qualified electricians who dont hold the 2391 but are very much competant to test & inspect.

All info required is in the Code of Practice, surely they can only teach you whats written in there. When i did my C&G i felt like the course was more for people who were new to the industry

I looked into the C&G PAT course and it was silly money.... Then I read that you can do the 3 day course if you have NO electrical knowledge and the 2 day course if you are a qualified electrician!!!
Glad to know that after 20 odd years I am only considered 1 day better than joe public.

I looked into the C&G PAT course and it was silly money.... Then I read that you can do the 3 day course if you have NO electrical knowledge and the 2 day course if you are a qualified electrician!!!
Glad to know that after 20 odd years I am only considered 1 day better than joe public.

I did a II&TEE (formaly PAT) course at the end of last year only because of this nonsense about "do you have a C&G qualification in PAT testing) although this is partly to do with disinformation from the Schemies and non electricians doing most of the work. As fo cost I went to my local technical college for 6 weeks nightclass at the grand cost of £195 so I have now ticked the boxes crossed the Ts and dotted the Is as they say.

I understand what you are saying oldtimer. I used to do all the PA testing with another maintenance electrician when I worked at a baked bean factory many years ago when the requirement first came out, so I'm very comfortable with what to do. I can't undertake any evening classes unfortunately due to teaching classical guitar every weekday evening, and I find having to spend even 2 days with a group of people off the street, many of whom have probably never picked up a screwdriver a little insulting to be perfectly honest.

Where are you based guitarist? Looking at guitar lessons soon you see

Nice to hear that you are taking the plunge mate. Unfortunately, I'm not taking any more students on. I find after working all day that teaching into the evening is wearing me out.
Let me know if you need any tips though re. what to look for in a teacher/instrument etc.

Ha! You could spend a day at home and work your way through the CoP book with your tester and you'd know it inside out! Spend ~£200 for 2377 plus the time at college, don't think so. It's level 3, same as 2391-10. Do these levels actually mean anything at all?

Did the C&G courses a few years back, total waste of time but hey ho, you live & learn. From what I remember anyone competent can pat test but there should be someone within your organisation who is qualified (holds C&G 2377 11&12). I also recall our instructor mentioning that if you sit and fail the C&G PAT exam 3 times (unlikely I know) you are barred from ever PAT testing again! Fair cop I suppose...

Did the C&G courses a few years back, total waste of time but hey ho, you live & learn. From what I remember anyone competent can pat test but there should be someone within your organisation who is qualified (holds C&G 2377 11&12). I also recall our instructor mentioning that if you sit and fail the C&G PAT exam 3 times (unlikely I know) you are barred from ever PAT testing again! Fair cop I suppose...

Shame they don't do this with drivers!!!

if you sit and fail the C&G PAT exam 3 times (unlikely I know) you are barred from ever PAT testing again! Fair cop I suppose...

I'd take that with a rather large pinch of salt!! lol

I'd have to ask however, how could a fully qualified electrician ever fail such a course, let alone ever really needing to take such a course in the first place... lol!!!

I'd take that with a rather large pinch of salt!! lol

I'd have to ask however, how could a fully qualified electrician ever fail such a course, let alone ever really needing to take such a course in the first place... lol!!!

One that has been around for years but never gets over the fear of exams since he thought he left that all at high school:hand:

Ha! You could spend a day at home and work your way through the CoP book with your tester and you'd know it inside out! Spend ~£200 for 2377 plus the time at college, don't think so. It's level 3, same as 2391-10. Do these levels actually mean anything at all?
well i have the C&G 2377 (both of em)..and i can assure you now Archy that they have never seen level three.....its a complete joke...lol....they sit you down in this room with the COP and your just expected to copy down stuff all parrot fashion (probably why i passed)...then they drag some stuff out of a big bin that is either a pass or a fail and get you to pat it....and record the results on a test sheet....and thats it...thats what the course consists of......level three...my arse....

Reply to do you need the pat testing qualification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net