Discuss Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been asked this question today by one of our engineers , do you need to pat test / test fixed appliances / equipment ( hand dryers , heaters etc )
My opinion Yes he thinks no
Something we don’t really do but know we really should and keep records of these tests

I suppose it depends what you mean by "need". It's not the same as "should".
I suppose it depends what you mean by "need". It's not the same as "should".
i
Been asked this question today by one of our engineers , do you need to pat test / test fixed appliances / equipment ( hand dryers , heaters etc )
My opinion Yes he thinks no
Something we don’t really do but know we really should and keep records of these tests
Is it a requirement

There is no legal requirement to PA Test anything but the law requires you to abide by the following
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
• Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
• The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regs 1998
• The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs 1999
The above are legal requirements and the easiest way to comply is to PA Test.

On any work premises should the company who own/ control the business pat test /test fixed appliances

There is no legal requirement to PA Test anything but the law requires you to abide by the following
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
• Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
• The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regs 1998
• The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs 1999
The above are legal requirements and the easiest way to comply is to PA Test.
I agree totally

In terms of In service inspection and testing of electrical equipment if there is a requirement in for equipment to be tested (such as when there is no planned preventative maintenance regime in place) then all electrical equipment should be tested at intervals this includes items of fixed or stationary type.
If this were not the case then your EICR of the fixed wiring would omit these and the ISITEE would omit these and they are subject to wear and tear just as anything else so need to be covered somehow.

I tend to take the view that fixed equipment eg via switched fused spur etc. is part of the fixed electrical installation and is tested as p[art of a EICR. Portable appliances done periodically based upon a risk assessment eg plugged in appliances such as computers ,fridges would be of a less risk than say drills in the workshop or the kettle toaster in the staff rest room.

I tend to take the view that fixed equipment eg via switched fused spur etc. is part of the fixed electrical installation and is tested as p[art of a EICR. Portable appliances done periodically based upon a risk assessment eg plugged in appliances such as computers ,fridges would be of a less risk than say drills in the workshop or the kettle toaster in the staff rest room.
Other than the xed installation, which is considered to be the installation from the meter point to the socket-outlet, or fuse connection unit, all electrical equipment in an installation, whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket-outlet,
Code of Practice for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment © The Institution of Engineering and Technology

Other than the xed installation, which is considered to be the installation from the meter point to the socket-outlet, or fuse connection unit, all electrical equipment in an installation, whether permanently connected or connected by a plug and socket-outlet,
Code of Practice for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment © The Institution of Engineering and Technology
fixed wire testing only covers as far as sockets , fused spurs , isolator
Rest should be covered by in service inspection and testing of electrical code of practise

Maybe I'm missing something here but please enlighten me as how you practically would do this on sat a fixed heater fed via switched fused spur. All the PAT testers that I know of you have to plug the item into.

Really,so what do you do with hand dryers ,a heater in a w.c on a switched fused spur I'm learning here by the way I can't see this paying well especially for the companies that charge very little per item.

Reply to Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock