Discuss Do you test every RCBO? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BigSi

-
Reaction score
I’m currently doing a job where I have to replace 20 MCB’s with RCBO’s in the main consumer unit of a public building. I was told by another colleague, that you only had to trip test one RCBO and to use this figure for the remaining 19?

Surely this isn’t right, and you have to test the trip times on every circuit at the furthest point.

Either your mate is confused and is thinking of a split RCD board where you would duplicate the trip times of the relevant RCD across each protected circuit, or he is a complacent twunt.

Of course you test each RCBO, how are you to know if they comply or not if you don't test them ?

...... I was told by another colleague, that you only had to trip test one RCBO and to use this figure for the remaining 19? ......

Me thinks you need to take advice from this "electrician(?)" with a big pinch of salt .......

I’m currently doing a job where I have to replace 20 MCB’s with RCBO’s in the main consumer unit of a public building. I was told by another colleague, that you only had to trip test one RCBO and to use this figure for the remaining 19?

Surely this isn’t right, and you have to test the trip times on every circuit at the furthest point.
Was your colleague on drugs at the time?

As said you definitely have to test every RCBO otherwise you don't know that they work...

Its not uncommon to have faulty RCBOs...

Don't forget your testing the RCBO not the circuit so the test isn't carried out at the furthest point...

It's a wonder how people who are supposed to be managers get their jobs,sorry it's a bit off topic, but to do with short courses, when I was on the tools, many moons ago, we got involved in installing split A/C units, now as we all appreciate HVAC is a trade all on it's own,and although I did learn a lot from doing short A/C courses, there is no way I would class myself as an A/C installer/engineer, not in a million years, yes I understood the basics, and could probably install a simple A/C unit, although nowhere near as good as a qualified HVAC guy.
These short electrical courses are a scam in my opinion, taking people from all walks of life, filling their heads with all sorts of facts, and sometimes fiction, and basically ensuring they pass the relevant exams to get the quals, and more importantly make obscene amounts of dosh in the mean time, thats the reason we get asked stupid questions like this one in the first place. Should we test all the RCBOs? really for the sake of Christos, WTF is happening to our trade? rant over sorry guys, Sorry if this appears twice having IT probs

Guys, I appreciate the constructive comments, but please don’t belittle the other electrician. He’s a well respected time served sparks, whose wife died a few weeks ago, so he probably either miss heard me, or had a lot on his mind at the time.

Guys, I appreciate the constructive comments, but please don’t belittle the other electrician. He’s a well respected time served sparks, whose wife died a few weeks ago, so he probably either miss heard me, or had a lot on his mind at the time.

Really very sorry to hear that, but with this in mind it begs the question; why did you bother to start this thread in the first place???

Sorry to hear that must be a wrench I know it would be for me, sorry for your loss mate my sympathies

Well I am very sorry to hear that news, I really am, horrible to hear, sorry M8.

Reply to Do you test every RCBO? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock