Discuss Dodgy copies of BGB selling on Amazon UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Heisenberg

Just to warn people...

I recently left a bag on a train that contained amongst other things, my copy of the BGB. Obviously extremely ****ed off to lose such a valuable book, I was somewhat please to find that I could get a replacement from Amazon for only £32.

Book arrived in 3 days, from NEW DELHI. My heart sank as soon as I saw the senders address, as I knew exactly what to expect :sick: Sure enough, I had been sold a pup.... poorly bound, skewed pages, feint printing.
Got straight on the phone to the IET, and they were already aware of the problem.

At least I am guaranteed a refund, which is covered by Amazon. What is obvious though, is that if these $hite copies are available on Amazon, you can bet your bottom dollar that they are on fleabay too.
So be warned, if it seems too cheap, you'll probably be getting a copy like mine :icon13:

Cheers

Don't know what you thought you were getting for only £32 and we moan about people doing cheap electrical work and not getting what they thought.
Now as your darwin award go and write out the OSG 32 times and repeat after me '' I must not buy cheap!''

Yes you should should know fine well it's only the IET and the scams thats allowed to to do the ripping off , I mean the nerve of it!

Yeah can be leg lasher, but you would'nt expect it from Amazon. I must admit I'm a bit surprised, they must of realized it was super cheap when they let them list it , unless it was classified as second hand.

hate EBAY!!! unless im buying meter seals...!

Good grief man ! ebay is the best thing since sliced bread lol.
Got £500 megger testers for £160 ! whats not to like about bagging a bargin ?
Sure you need to be cautious with your dealings but i've only had a couple of duff transactions.
i'd get my groceries from there if they sold food.

Good grief man ! ebay is the best thing since sliced bread lol.
Got £500 megger testers for £160 ! whats not to like about bagging a bargin ?
Sure you need to be cautious with your dealings but i've only had a couple of duff transactions.
i'd get my groceries from there if they sold food.

I'm with you...I love eBay...bargains to be had...I go through phases of getting like 5 or 6 parcels a week from there...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI.

who was the seller.........??

Spineys Books

But to be honest, it would seem if you select any of the sellers that say 'delivery with 3 days via DHL' then you're asking for trouble. Last time I looked there were about 3 companies that were obviously offering the same sort of copies.

As a further update, I have already received my refund from Amazon. The seller gave me my money back and even said I can keep the book. Can you guess where it's going :disguise:

Seriously though, I wouldn't risk my 100% positive feedback on fleabay just to get shot of it and if I was being honest, it's not that bad of a copy, I just felt ripped off at the time. Now I have not paid for it, that feeling has strangely evaporated :grin:

Aha. Only yesterday I ordered a £32 copy of BGB from Amazon from UBookRead. I was sceptical about the price and looked carefully at the feedback. Mostly 100% for UBookRead - but I will report back when it arrives.

While looking at the reviews I had to smile about one review on the book itself. Enjoy:

Yet again the IET have produced a modern classic. Three years on from their last bestseller, few would have believed they could write another thriller so soon which would capture the imagination in quite the same way. With Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations, they have proved all those doubters wrong and categorically established themselves at the head of the shortlist of truly great contemporary writers.

The reader is drawn into the story from the opening, with the backdrop for the entire plot uncompromisingly revealed at an early stage. In spite of this it is impossible to not be drawn in on the rollercoaster ride, which owes its thanks to the many unexpected plot twists which seamlessly lace the narrative and truly demonstrate the vast range of the IET's technical writing skills.

Do not be fooled by my unerring enthusiasm for this fine work of literature however; the book is undoubtedly a challenging read. Multi-layered sub-plots flow flawlessly in and out of one another, and some of the ideas which are presented in the IET's now notorious complex sentence structure can at times boggle the mind. I urge any prospective readers to persist with the book however, and they will truly be rewarded with a thought-provoking story which may well change the way they look at their life, and the lives of others around them.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. The IET have yet again raised the bar for their contemporaries, and let's hope that Amendment 2 lives up to the hype which is already being generated in literary circles. Could a film adaptation possibly be on the horizon? One can only pray.

Spineys Books

But to be honest, it would seem if you select any of the sellers that say 'delivery with 3 days via DHL' then you're asking for trouble. Last time I looked there were about 3 companies that were obviously offering the same sort of copies.

As a further update, I have already received my refund from Amazon. The seller gave me my money back and even said I can keep the book. Can you guess where it's going :disguise:

Seriously though, I wouldn't risk my 100% positive feedback on fleabay just to get shot of it and if I was being honest, it's not that bad of a copy, I just felt ripped off at the time. Now I have not paid for it, that feeling has strangely evaporated :grin:

To be honest the original is not that good either compared to the red one, and that was'nt great.I wonder why they insist on using grey print .The old OSG was nearly impossible to read in poor light and the new reg book is not much better.

Aha. Only yesterday I ordered a £32 copy of BGB from Amazon from UBookRead. I was sceptical about the price and looked carefully at the feedback. Mostly 100% for UBookRead - but I will report back when it arrives.

Well you know what to do, ask for a refund. I'll bet they won't want the bother of arranging to have it sent back to India. If they do, just order a copy of the same people I got mine from.
They'll soon give up the ghost if they end up sending out loads of free copies. LOL

Well you know what to do, ask for a refund. I'll bet they won't want the bother of arranging to have it sent back to India. If they do, just order a copy of the same people I got mine from.
They'll soon give up the ghost if they end up sending out loads of free copies. LOL

It's a wonder Amazon have'nt withdrawn the listings by now.

OK

My copy of the BGB arrived by DHL yesterday from Delhi. Its all shrink-wrapped and identical to the real thing.
The only comment is that this is obviously a photocopy as the print is fainter than the previous (real) IET books.
My guess is that the spine binding isn't as good as the £70 version.

At half the price of the "real" one its good enough for me.
Yes, I know one shoudn't encourage piracy and copying of music and cloning of Levi jeans etc but times is hard.....

OK

My copy of the BGB arrived by DHL yesterday from Delhi. Its all shrink-wrapped and identical to the real thing.
The only comment is that this is obviously a photocopy as the print is fainter than the previous (real) IET books.
My guess is that the spine binding isn't as good as the £70 version.

At half the price of the "real" one its good enough for me.
Yes, I know one shoudn't encourage piracy and copying of music and cloning of Levi jeans etc but times is hard.....

Lol how do you know there is'nt some bits missing , I would'nt like to photocopy the reg book page for page ; even with a scanner.

Reply to Dodgy copies of BGB selling on Amazon UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock