Discuss Dodgy shower installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am not an electrician myself but I am after some advice regarding an installation that was recently carried out at my elderly mothers house.

She has recently had a shower installed where there was one many years ago, the pipe work was still usable but no one could find where the old (dead) wiring ran to.

The installer has run a new cable on the surface to the new shower unit and has manually cut the casing to allow entry into the top, the job is far from neat!

My other concerns are about the close proximity of the shower and some existing electrics that were installed in the time after this area was last used as a shower (it has been a cupboard for 12 years).

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on all of this while I decide what should be done about it all.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20180226_143329_515.JPG

IMG_20180226_143252_923.JPG

IMG_20180226_143219_311.jpg

Did an electrician do this?
Was your mother given an 'electrical installation certificate' for the work?
What did the quote say?

Quite frankly cutting a hole in the top of what is a waterproof casing is beyond stupid!

As for the other electrical items, they are within arms reach from with the 'shower cubicle'. If my interpretation of the regulations is correct that's considered as Zone 2 and they shouldn't be there.

Whoever did this is a complete chancer and before it is used for it's intended purpose, it should be reworked by someone who actually knows what they are doing and who understands the basics of fluid dynamics.

Thanks all for your replies.

I am lead to believe that the guy is a qualified electrician but I doubt there is any paperwork relating to the install!

The problem is, my mother is suffering from dementia (undiagnosed as yet) and instructs people to do work without any one else knowing, then gets very upset when the reason or quality of the work is questioned. She also has very little knowledge of legal or safety requirements.

At least I now have some professional opinions to back up my own opinion.

Hmmm...not pretty at all. Oddly, though, I recently fitted a replacement electric shower and although it's really just a newer version of the existing one, it did offer the possibility of top-entry for the cable, via a pre-formed slot-in plastic cutout, with a knockout bit shaped for the cable. I didn't use it, nor would I have as the existing cable is rear-entry, but it got me wondering about the safety aspects. The new unit is much flimsier and the separation between inner and outer casings is less pronounced...I like a nice channel, 2 steps and a good gasket (oo, err, missus...)
However, looking at the unit I removed, the top was quite dusty which says two things:
1. Not been cleaned properly!
2. Never got wet

Paying more attention I noticed that in use the shower spray and reflected spray from my body never threatened to swamp the unit itself, which remained dry except for the front control.
The instructions also stated you should not silicone the unit to the wall, which might be tempting to prevent water ingress, but the cable goes in horizontally to the casing then turns upwards to the connector block which is shielded so I guess that's good enough.
I won't bore you with my tale of phoning the manufacturer's "Helpline" which was tedious in the extreme, got me nowhere at all, and required me to take 2 extra pills that day...

fluid dynamics is always like an app. running in the background on the forum. it's quite simple really. you tilt the glass, the level falls, you refill till it's class ( sung to the tune of Brain Damage, by Floyd).

upload_2018-2-26_15-36-51.jpeg

The problem is, my mother is suffering from dementia (undiagnosed as yet) and instructs people to do work without any one else knowing, then gets very upset when the reason or quality of the work is questioned.
My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia and Alzheimers a couple of years ago. She had been having memory problems for many years before hand and several thousands of pounds worth of dodgy work done on her house. She had her conservatory redone three times in four years by the same company who have now gone bankrupt and are trading under a different name.

My advice is to get, with her agreement, power of attorney so you can take the reigns when it comes to work being done etc as you can cancel contracts. I would also get her mail on a redirect as you can pick up a lot from unscrupulous traders and charities.

Once one dodgy person finds out she's vulnerable her name will be sold on and that's where the fun starts.

As for the shower installation, the installer needs their dangly bits ripping off.

I don't know about "fluid dynamics" but who the hell did the tiling??
Same person who did the Electrics and carpentry I reckon.
My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia and Alzheimers a couple of years ago. She had been having memory problems for many years before hand and several thousands of pounds worth of dodgy work done on her house. She had her conservatory redone three times in four years by the same company who have now gone bankrupt and are trading under a different name.

My advice is to get, with her agreement, power of attorney so you can take the reigns when it comes to work being done etc as you can cancel contracts. I would also get her mail on a redirect as you can pick up a lot from unscrupulous traders and charities.

Once one dodgy person finds out she's vulnerable her name will be sold on and that's where the fun starts.

As for the shower installation, the installer needs their dangly bits ripping off.
Wants disconnecting before it kills someone imo

It's a wind up, all of it. Come on, nothing can be that bad, please.
yes it can. i've seen worse.e.g. a 6mm T/E feeding a shower from a 30A 3036. no problems till plumber fitted a new shower. the 6.0mm was too shorrt to reach the terminals, so he extended the tails with some 2.5mm stripped out of T/E, twisted and taped. customer wondered why the fuse kept blowing. the wet-pants' joint was a molten mess.

Strima, very good advice there re Power of Attorney. Has to be got before dementia takes over, obviously. I don't know the situation in England but here in Scotland you have a choice of a general one or a continuing and welfare one...the latter is the most useful and most requested.
In another life, yes I have seen old folks with problems being ripped off big time, and indeed once fooled they become targets for every "tradesman" under the sun...ie £6,000 to de-moss a 2 bed semi roof etc. That lady's son went looking for the bloke and spotted him on a roof in the next estate...shouted up that he was calling the police, roof guy told him to do something involving procreation and travel...the son promptly removed the ladder...

Strima, very good advice there re Power of Attorney. Has to be got before dementia takes over, obviously. I don't know the situation in England but here in Scotland you have a choice of a general one or a continuing and welfare one...the latter is the most useful and most requested.
In another life, yes I have seen old folks with problems being ripped off big time, and indeed once fooled they become targets for every "tradesman" under the sun...ie £6,000 to de-moss a 2 bed semi roof etc. That lady's son went looking for the bloke and spotted him on a roof in the next estate...shouted up that he was calling the police, roof guy told him to do something involving procreation and travel...the son promptly removed the ladder...

Reply to Dodgy shower installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net