Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

29c91259fcab501358e7089474016723.jpg

Found this on a farm on an EICR....!!!
The SWA goes straight to the pole next to the barn where it is stripped and joined straight to the overhead supply!!!
No meter either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what it is, never seen it before.
It's 10mm tails on a 80m run on a 100a fuse.
Lovely job lol

I'm not surprised, it's as rare as rocking horse poo these days thankfully!

It would have to be 13th edition at the latest. The fact that these still exist is the reason the regs about them still exist (see PEN conductors) to allow them to be maintained despite being illegal to install new now.

The overheads should be 'hard drawn' copper rather than standard soft drawn cable, and can be bare conductors if on insulators. The CCC is higher due to being in free air and not exposed to touch.
We had a stock of imperial hard drawn red and black where I served my apprenticeship in the stores left over from jobs on local farms.

The drop cables would normally be connected using line taps (basically a split bolt and nut) I think TLC still list them bizarrely

As an apprentice, I once had to work an an "Electrical Engineers" house of whom we were also working at his place of work, a big pharmaceutical company based near to Euston station.
At his house, from memory in a garage or utility area, we were to tidy up some wiring that was laying on top of some wall units.
This was micc cables - in use with connectors on the bare ends - no pots or compound. I'm not sure how long it had been like that, but it was a small miracle that not only was the circuit in use and working, but hadn't killed anyone or caused any damage.
He was probably good at shuffling paper and quoting regs, but not so great or intelligent with the practical side, and no doubt on poo loads more money that the sparks I was with.

I'm not surprised, it's as rare as rocking horse poo these days thankfully!

It would have to be 13th edition at the latest. The fact that these still exist is the reason the regs about them still exist (see PEN conductors) to allow them to be maintained despite being illegal to install new now.

The overheads should be 'hard drawn' copper rather than standard soft drawn cable, and can be bare conductors if on insulators. The CCC is higher due to being in free air and not exposed to touch.
We had a stock of imperial hard drawn red and black where I served my apprenticeship in the stores left over from jobs on local farms.

The drop cables would normally be connected using line taps (basically a split bolt and nut) I think TLC still list them bizarrely

Sounds about spot on,
Apart from the drop cable is a bit of SWA just stripped back and joined with 60amp choc blocks lol

I looked at Pen conductors during the EICR but due to it saying that they cannot be used within an installation I disregarded it completely and assumed it was a massive bodge up!
Apparently it hasn't been tested since installed lol.
Thanks for the information.

Sounds about spot on,
Apart from the drop cable is a bit of SWA just stripped back and joined with 60amp choc blocks lol

I looked at Pen conductors during the EICR but due to it saying that they cannot be used within an installation I disregarded it completely and assumed it was a massive bodge up!
Apparently it hasn't been tested since installed lol.
Thanks for the information.

No worries.

It is still definitely a massive bodge up, no question about it.
I don't think it's possible to justify anything other than a repair to an existing TNC install, I don't think extending it and adding another DB would be justifiable by any sane person now!

IMG_20160714_104149.jpg

Amongst numerous other issues in the piccy, the one that hindered me was I couldn't get CUs cover off. I think the gas meter must have been changed to have the raised up part on the left hand side at some point. Idiots!

View attachment 32745

Amongst numerous other issues in the piccy, the one that hindered me was I couldn't get CUs cover off. I think the gas meter must have been changed to have the raised up part on the left hand side at some point. Idiots!

That raised up part at the left is the regulator, which reduces the pressure from the incoming service pipe to that required for the installation, and maintains the pressure.
I think, but am not certain, that that is quite an old type which requires mandatory notification to the gas board for replacement whenever a gas safe plumbob encounters one.

just get the gas supplier to shift the stupid gas meter at their expense. ​whoever fitted it there is an arse.

Not as good as TheGayOwl's but I had this the other day. The cu cover wont close as the door casing impinges on it. The space is to small to get a normal screwdriver in to remove the far side retaining screw and the cover doesn't sit flush in any event (see the top).

IMG_3957.jpg

Top of the board!

IMG_3958.jpg

Henley's to the side of the CU. The exposed conductor is the Live.

The shower unit the Henley split feeds.

IMG_3954.jpg

The meter tails were approx 8m from the DNO cut-out and unprotected.

IMG_3960.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 406
Not as good as TheGayOwl's but I had this the other day. The cu cover wont close as the door casing impinges on it. The space is to small to get a normal screwdriver in to remove the far side retaining screw and the cover doesn't sit flush in any event (see the top).

View attachment 32747

Top of the board!

View attachment 32748

Henley's to the side of the CU. The exposed conductor is the Live.

The shower unit the Henley split feeds.

View attachment 32750

The meter tails were approx 8m from the DNO cut-out and unprotected.

View attachment 32751

The knob obviously didn't have any glans on him.....see what I did there!

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock