Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

just get the gas supplier to shift the stupid gas meter at their expense. ​whoever fitted it there is an arse.

The house is being sold Tel so the owner is not bothered about it. I was just changing a light fitting, Zs nice and low so I am not too fussed either. Note on my invoice highlights the issue.

DIY lighting circuit

Got called to a tripping set of downlights in a downstairs kitchen to find one of them had burned out. Mostly halogen lamps with a few coloured LEDs thrown in for "effect" Yes that's brown/brown used for line/neutral, and exposed basic insulation
2016-06-13 14.58.01.jpg 2016-06-13 14.58.30.jpg
I was informed that the guy who lived there previously had boasted about all the "improvements" he had done to the place including this kitchen lighting circuit. I discovered that the ceiling was stuffed with insulation, a mix of rockwool type, space blanket type, and the occasional sheet of kingspan/celotex chucked up there. You can see the lower layer of melted kingspan in this pic.
2016-07-22 08.43.00.jpg
They agreed it would be best to remove these fittings as they mainly used floor and table lamps and the centre light anyway. I set about stripping the fittings and wiring out and came to disconnect at the switch.
2016-07-22 08.39.03.jpg2016-07-22 08.37.58.jpg
So, yep that's how it came off the wall, with conductors falling out all over the place..... two terminal screws were so loose they had fallen out ! Also note the unearthed back box and metal front plate, and the exposed line conductor in the bottom right corner, a lovely combination.

If the guy who did this had been around I just don't know where I would have started, apart from maybe a slap round the head with BS7671.

another clue is the tails are over the gas main if the pipe was installed after they would be behind

That particular CU maybe, but I'd hazard a guess that the previous CU was there before the gas meter.
The incoming service pipe appears to be copper, which is incredibly rare for the gas board to do, they normally use steel tube before the meter for something like that, which suggests the gas meter has at some point been moved to its current location.

that is true they use flexi steel pipe onto meter used to be lead the outlet goes into the wall so at a guess the gas was there first id say cu moved down as it is almost resting on the otlet pipe and you could not put pipe in after

DIY lighting circuit

Got called to a tripping set of downlights in a downstairs kitchen to find one of them had burned out. Mostly halogen lamps with a few coloured LEDs thrown in for "effect" Yes that's brown/brown used for line/neutral, and exposed basic insulation
View attachment 32767 View attachment 32768
I was informed that the guy who lived there previously had boasted about all the "improvements" he had done to the place including this kitchen lighting circuit. I discovered that the ceiling was stuffed with insulation, a mix of rockwool type, space blanket type, and the occasional sheet of kingspan/celotex chucked up there. You can see the lower layer of melted kingspan in this pic.
View attachment 32769
They agreed it would be best to remove these fittings as they mainly used floor and table lamps and the centre light anyway. I set about stripping the fittings and wiring out and came to disconnect at the switch.
View attachment 32770View attachment 32771
So, yep that's how it came off the wall, with conductors falling out all over the place..... two terminal screws were so loose they had fallen out ! Also note the unearthed back box and metal front plate, and the exposed line conductor in the bottom right corner, a lovely combination.

If the guy who did this had been around I just don't know where I would have started, apart from maybe a slap round the head with BS7671.
what a bag of Shyte, and did he use an axe to cut out the ceiling?

That particular CU maybe, but I'd hazard a guess that the previous CU was there before the gas meter.
The incoming service pipe appears to be copper, which is incredibly rare for the gas board to do, they normally use steel tube before the meter for something like that, which suggests the gas meter has at some point been moved to its current location.

Spoke to owner about it, and she said the gas meter used to be outside but was moved inside. The house was built in the 1980's so likely to be the original CU I would have thought, and next door which is the same style house does have an external gas meter.

Edit: just remembered that next door does have an old 3036 board in. So ignore part of above!

Last edited:
Good man, I have been tempted to do it for a while, I've got a local plumber who will sponsor me through it so that I can do boiler repairs for him along with doing the controls side of it as I do now.

Yeah I'm doing the portfolio part with a local firm who I do wiring for. I have been thinking of doing it for ages so bit the bullet and jumped on the course.

Another string to the bow and all that.....I'm not interested in plumbing just boilers/heating and becoming gas safe registered. I'm also doing the G3 unvented course in a few weeks. The training books are a few quid though :goofy:

https://gassafetyshop.co.uk/products/ViperGas-Domestic-Natural-Gas-Handbook-Plus-FREE-Subscription

Last edited:
I am actually interested in the plumbing side of the heating systems too. But the more involved parts of it like connecting multiple boilers via the different possible headers and suchlike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just bumping some threads in the Electrical Forum, don't mind me while I do this, you don't have to respond to them. Although if they are still current topics, and you do wish to reply, you're welcome to. Keep the thread on-topic and make sure you stick to the forum rules though.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock