Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There was a socket on the other side of the wall higher up, so I pulled that back box out and followed the cable
where it came back through I drilled a tiny hole, started chopping out and came across that jb.
I was I was that lucky but there's more damage on other side of wall

There was a socket on the other side of the wall higher up, so I pulled that back box out and followed the cable
where it came back through I drilled a tiny hole, started chopping out and came across that jb.
I was I was that lucky but there's more damage on other side of wall

I would suggest getting your lotto tickets on tomorrow night mate as you obviously have luck on your side!! It is satisfying to find and fix faults efficiently, especially when you only have a rough inkling of where the dodgy connection probably is.

I had a lost CPC on lighting CCT to find on Monday, wasn't looking forward to it at all....spent two hours checking fittings with no joy...then went up in loft to find some clever arse had boxed off a small 'room' and I couldn't get into the remaining roof space...back to van for jigsaw and eventually got into the dustiest loft I have ever been in..great....but found it within 10 mins...exactly the same issue as yours...CPC had snapped off in JB....

Last edited:
In regards to the picture of a socket with a another set of T&E what is your issue with it? I was told that that is allowed if for instance you were adding a kitchen ring in to a house that previously didn't have one. Admittedly the situation I can was a conduit earth system.

Regards

The pictures were from yesterday morning, I have yet to do a full test of the property, as it is occupied, I had to make it safe changing the 6mm and 10mm tails to 25mm, fit a new RCD for top board, terminate loose wires and turn off circuits with poor insulation resistance readings. I have a number of questions with the ring circuit you mention, extra cables being one of them most probably an entirely different circuit, which of course is a no-no.
You may notice the heat damage to the RCD lower neutral connection. This was a historic and continuing fault as part of the screw connection pulling on to the cable/bar was missing causing arcing.

I reckon someone has seen that done in the back of a light switch and thought it was the way to go.

Yep my exacto mundo thoughts too Andy!

Or maybe they thought it was a special metal plastic alloy compound!!

Not a notice I would have displayed in a shop….lol.

Attachments

• Label.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,039
Photo-0021 (2).jpgResponded to a call out to replace the usual broken pendant and glossed over light switch at a tenants property. Went to knock power off to find the main RCCB switch was already in the "off" position. That's odd I thought. Anyway on removal of the lid I was confronted with this delight!
Spoke to the tenant to find out if anyone had been tinkering. Apparently a few "months" earlier they had contacted the out of hours emergency electricians to restore their power. This crew were from the main contractor that service all the council properties in the city. To bypass a main switch is one thing but to connect the mains directly to an out going shower circuit is quite another. No one was scheduled to come back and rectify it either, as far as I was aware.

Today's findings. Located on top of a tool store in large workshop.
Image00003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Yes, it is a live board
Image00002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Image00001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock