Discuss Does a non-maintained emergency need a key switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help. A friend of mine (a builder) has asked me because I used to be an electrician (im not working in the trade anymore) if a non maintained emergency light in a small shop has to have a key switch (as per regulations). I realise the benefits of having a key switch but is it necessary. Thanks

Re: Does a non-maintained emergecy need a key switch

In a word, yes. This is for monthly, quarterly and annual testing of the battery & lamp.

In a word, yes. This is for monthly, quarterly and annual testing of the battery & lamp.

Can the test not be carried out by switching off the lighting breaker ? The shop only as one room and a toilet room so there would be no issues switching off the entire lighting circuit to perform a test. Is a key switch essential s this situation ?

The annual test is a minimum of 2 hours and you will be putting the shop into darkness, that is why we use key switches to isolate power to the EM so not effecting any other circuit. Also useful for maintenance/repair and replacement of the EM. Easy to install and it is just the correct thing to do imho.

The annual test is a minimum of 2 hours and you will be putting the shop into darkness, that is why we use key switches to isolate power to the EM so not effecting any other circuit. Also useful for maintenance/repair and replacement of the EM. Easy to install and it is just the correct thing to do imho.

That's a good point, I overlooked that !

However, I dont think there is a requirement for the key switch, it can be turned off if necessary at the CB.
Of course, that isnt the best way, but, it complies AFAIAA.
As for losing the lights when the test is being done, just do it out of hours, or in daylight hours, or provide temporary lighting via a socket outlet.

Can the test not be carried out by switching off the lighting breaker ? The shop only as one room and a toilet room so there would be no issues switching off the entire lighting circuit to perform a test. Is a key switch essential s this situation ?
well Tazz is the man for this, but IMO it doesn't need one, that said any spark worth anything would insist on fitting one.

Hi hope someone can help. A friend of mine (a builder) has asked me because I used to be an electrician (im not working in the trade anymore) if a non maintained emergency light in a small shop has to have a key switch (as per regulations). I realise the benefits of having a key switch but is it necessary. Thanks

Not really, no. But the advantage is that the emergencies can be tested without affecting the supply to the general lighting, which obviously might be desireable. Also bear in mind particularly when doing full duration tests that the batteries will take some time to charge back up, so don't carry out the test when they might be needed.

Some emergencies are self-testing as well and DALI controlled.

A thorough read of BS 5266 is obviously the best advice.

Last edited:

Whenever it is specified that there is to be a key switch for each E/L, switching only that E/L it always worries me it will just be left switched off and because it doesn't affect any lighting in general use no one will notice.

Whenever it is specified that there is to be a key switch for each E/L, switching only that E/L it always worries me it will just be left switched off and because it doesn't affect any lighting in general use no one will notice.

If using a test facility e.g. a keyswitch then you don't want it to affect the general lighting and plunge the entire area into darkness. You are simply trying to establish that the emergency luminaires will come on on failure of the local lighting.

Agree on one hand, but on the flip side, what happens when somebody comes along and switches it off without realising the consequences/ forgets to to go back and switch it back on after a full 3 hour discharge test.

Each method of doing it has advantages and disadvantages and as far as I know neither is 'incorrect' according to regulations.

8.3.3 of BS 5266-1 states "8.3.3 Test facility
Each emergency lighting system should have suitable means for simulating failure of the normal supply for test purposes (i.e. without interruption of the normal supply)."

Emphasis mine.

8.3.3 of BS 5266-1 states "8.3.3 Test facility
Each emergency lighting system should have suitable means for simulating failure of the normal supply for test purposes (i.e. without interruption of the normal supply)."

Emphasis mine.

Thanks for the regulation as mentioned; however the word SHOULD is not the same as MUST, so on that basis I presume that it would raise an eyebrow not to have a key switch although the system wouldn't be condemned.

If you wish to make an excursion from the regulations then you need to show good reason and ultimately show the safety of the system or persons is not compromised, for the latter points is hasn't compromised safety so not an issue there really so if this is existing set-up then only a recommendation can be issued, if this is a newly wired/fitted E/M set-up then there should be no reason IMHO that such a simple addition is not included in the design and I would be asking the Electrician to provide a very good reason as to why regulations have not been followed.

A competent Electrician will use and follow the BS7671 to the T and not to do so without good cause is poor work ethics and bad practice. Just because the wording is should instead of must shouldn't be a point argument, the BS7671 are a guidelines for good and safe work practice and are not statute law hence the phrasing 'should' instead of must. Showing you follow such guidelines as the BS7671 is your proof of good work practice and is invaluable as evidence of competency if you are ever ask to prove it in a court of law.

doesnt half make life easier testing with a switch , as for forgetting to switch them back on thats upto the person testing the indicators are so bright these days there is no excuse for not noticing them not charging so easy to spot when not switched out of test mode

Thanks for all the response it has helped. I will mention a key switch might not be a bad idea considering it would be so easy to wire in.

Reason for test switches is 1. to identify unmarked maintained fittings, 2. to isolate em from standard lighting circuit. 3. to identify em fittings that are faulty. 4. to identify the em circuit by switch fitting. (ie DB1/L3/C08) 5. to allow full duration test without switch off normal lighting.
Putting a place in darkness or poor light during the day, is asking for a court case for injury.

No. 1, not sure how that will work?
No. 2, will only work with non-maintained.
No. 3, again will only work with non-maintained.
No. 4, how would it be any different from switching the circuit (DB1/L3/C08) MCB?
No. 5, yes.
No. 6, switching off the circuit via the MCB, will allow the LUX level to be determined.

1. em lighting is 40% less bright when not powered.
2. required to work with switched maintained, exit and non maintained.
3. with normal lighting staying lite....any non lite, must be faulty em fitting
4. All lighting feed from that circuit would be de-powered.
6. only on commissioning or take over....so mcb for lux testing...em switch for periodic testing...making life great.

Reply to Does a non-maintained emergency need a key switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock