Discuss Does a TP&N RCB work if not connected correctly? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I'm not being stupid here. Not correctly, as in, not as the labels on the device says

So, the situation is, I have a TP&N distribution board with a regular 125A 4 pole mainswitch. The terminals serve in order- N, L1, L2, L3 with the neutral on the left.
This installation is to have a 300mA RCD mainswitch fitted.
The manufacturer of the distribution board can supply the RCD, but the connections are marked 1,3,5,N on top and 2,4,6,N on bottom. ie, the neutral is on the right of the switch module.

The paperwork with the RCD says that the load and supply can be reversed.. ie, fit the thing upside down, but that's not going to look great.

It also says that the RCD can work as a 2 pole device using 1-2 (not 3-4 and 5-6)and the N, and these can be reversed. (putting live into the N terminal, and neutral on the 1-2 poles)
If so, can I do it this way and still use the other 2 phases in the middle terminals?

I have already asked the manufacturer for their technical advice and await their reply. You lot are much quicker.

How does a TP&N RCD work and will it work if I connect it up the way I need to?
Will I need to add a new enclosure before the board with the RCD in it, with the cables in the right positions?
I know the answer to this one, but can I ask the fairies to pull the fuses and i'll put the rcd in place of the suppliers isolator

I'll post photos of the equipment when I have some. My description isn't too clear now I've read it over.

Board design changed last year alone with order or main switch connections as I had the same issue. Did your wholesaler sell you an older board?

As far as I’m aware, with TP&N RCDs, all conductors pass through the coil.
As long as they’re in balance the RCD doesn’t operate.
As such, it should not matter which way round the conductors are connected.

The RCD operation itself, as far as detecting imbalance, should work any which way. But if the contacts are sequenced, it is important on a TP+N system that the neutral is connected to the N pole of the device, so that the lines are never connected without it.

Was thinking simultaneous operation due to the manufacturer’s stating the device can be used for double pole operation, with the neutral in either pole.

Hmm. Conflicting opinions there.
Still waiting for contactum technical to get back to me.
In the meantime, a photograph of the RCD itself. Hard to see the terminal markings, but you can see the schematic diagram if you zoom in.
Does a TP&N RCB work if not connected correctly? 2611AA61-9985-45B9-AF79-52C7ED45E2F3 - EletriciansForums.net

I’m thinking it doesn’t matter, but I don’t want to test the theory without a little back up.

as long as contrectum email you that it's OK, your arse is covered.

Reply to Does a TP&N RCB work if not connected correctly? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock