Discuss Does anyone else get a little nervous at assessment time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you need an OSG does your local library not have a copy you could borrow?

If you are an NICEIC Approved Contractor you only need BS7671. Maybe the CPS schemes require the OSG with its illustrations and tables due to its spread of technical knowledge of members from Electrical Trainee through to most forum members here.

I was asked for a copy of my OSG on our last few assessments.

TBH I only use them for the copper resistances, conduit capacities etc.

The blue is available, but the assessor said it didn't come in to effect until Jan 1st so I would need a yellow until then. The sensible chap on the phone said it was mandatory to have an up to date OSG in order to pass the Stroma assessment.

I had one but I lost it within the last year.

I know you have to have their preferred biscuits, or buy them all day breakfast and ensure the subs are paid on the assessment day, but as the 18th came into effect in July, isn't that the latest edition?

Shirley if you tell your assessor thats what I'm designing my installs too, then its all blue from now on in?

I still don't see why Stroma insist on a OSG, I was only ever asked to produce the latest edition of BS7671 and any amendments. Seem to recall I was asked if I had a copy of electricians guide to building regs, but it was a nice to have, not a requirement.

Suppose its only a few pounds, and no different taking them out for breakfast :)

I take my assessor for breakfast every year....A skim of the paperwork, a couple of tests and questions and he’s gone until the next year. I don’t really get nervous about it. I’ve just got my 10 year certificate and rosette from the NIC
I've had my 25 year for a while.....stopped with the breakfasts about 10 years back...still waiting for a bacon butty back off 'em;)….or any sort of concession off the 18th paperwork.:(
And telling me I've got to do the 3 day course. Maybe they'll offer me a rosette after that.....mind you, they could shove that where the sun don't shine.

Do they actually have the right to make you do the 3 day course ? Surely as long as you take the exam,pass and hold the qualification that's all that matters ?

I was subbing to a NICEIC registered company, doing period inspection and testing Council homes, when the NICEIC inspector pitched up on my site.

He examined my documents, including JIB card, 3 month old calibration certificate etc then asked for my monthly Check Box records.

I presented my current calibration certificate for the Check Box and explained that I carried regular tests against my tester but didn't record them.

He said it was a requirement so I gave him my Regs and a folder containing the EAWR and asked him to show me where it was required. He said it was an NICEIC requirement so I told him I didn't belong to the Club so their Regs didn't apply to me. He gave up and left.

Do they actually have the right to make you do the 3 day course ? Surely as long as you take the exam,pass and hold the qualification that's all that matters ?

No they don’t. They tried it with my guys when I booked and I said three days is a liberty and is completely unnecessary. They then backed down and they all passed.

I was subbing to a NICEIC registered company, doing period inspection and testing Council homes, when the NICEIC inspector pitched up on my site.

He examined my documents, including JIB card, 3 month old calibration certificate etc then asked for my monthly Check Box records.

I presented my current calibration certificate for the Check Box and explained that I carried regular tests against my tester but didn't record them.

He said it was a requirement so I gave him my Regs and a folder containing the EAWR and asked him to show me where it was required. He said it was an NICEIC requirement so I told him I didn't belong to the Club so their Regs didn't apply to me. He gave up and left.

He is actually correct.

No, but you are working for an NICEIC contractor and part of their rules is that ongoing acracy of test equipment. Who is to say that after a month it has gone out of calibration ongoing checks clarify this. You are already doing that why not keep a record all you would have to do is write it down in columns in a notepad takes minutes. It is partly the fault of the NICEIC companies PDH/Q.S. they should have checked this before you undertaking to test on their behalf. He will walk away and not get into a debate with you they won't. I bet it will be put down as a non-compliance with the rules on the assessment report.

OOH Eek! Got my first Stroma assessment in two weeks. Outside workshop on a TT earth prepp'ed, with all cables in kopex; Hopefully to the reg's. 17th and 18th BS7671 to hand plus all the risk assessment, complaints procedure etc. What is the procedure if you fail? How soon can you re-book and can you use the same circuits or is it a new location?

Reply to Does anyone else get a little nervous at assessment time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net