Discuss Does anyone know what type of cable this is? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Direct burial for what purpose? A direct burial cable for extra low voltage is different to one suitable for mains voltage.
If it is an American standard cable then it almost certainly won’t be suitable for use in the UK

How can it be low voltage - the cable is huge. Each copper wire is bigger than 2.5mm2 cable.

How can it be low voltage - the cable is huge. Each copper wire is bigger than 2.5mm2 cable.

Whether it's suitable for mains voltage is less about the core, more about the insulation and it's ability to keep you and the environment separated from the mains voltage inside.

Are you in the UK or Estonia?

If the latter then my guess would be the quality of that installation is probably top notch out there!

I never spotted the Estonia bit.

The size of the cable doesn’t define its voltage rating, the insulation does.

To be compliant with bs7671 for direct burial at mains voltages it needs to have an earthed armour

Why don't you contact an electrician and get them to do it? They will be able to find out if the cable is suitable and if it is determine which core is which with simple tests. If you take this into your own hands and connect it as you please it could potentially be dangerous.

if it was to provide power for auto-matic gates ?
Then it could well be a low voltage cable IE 12 or 24v ?

if it was to provide power for auto-matic gates ?
Then it could well be a low voltage cable IE 12 or 24v ?

Yes the gates are low voltage. The cables are completely sealed in solid plastic which you need to cut/ split to get the the cable (very difficult, I guess there is a specific tool for this). The cable is also armoured with metal sheathing and the very hard plastic on the outside has wire through it too. Anyway, I connected it all up and it works fine.

So you’re putting 230 volts through a cable which potentially isn’t designed or rated to take that voltage?

So you’re putting 230 volts through a cable which potentially isn’t designed or rated to take that voltage?
wedon't know that. it could be just carrying 24V with the LV at the supply end rather than down at the gates.

Reply to Does anyone know what type of cable this is? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock