Discuss does anyone own a fluke T140? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i need to know because i have just bought a voltage/continuity tester (TEK950) and then sent it back because it couldn't (or i couldn't get it to) detect polarity in a single phase system. with the probes on it would just say L and an anticlockwise arrow on the display no matter which way round the probes were

the seller is now saying theres nothing wrong with it, it acts just like the fluke T-140 that does not detect polarity either. every other tester i've used can detect polarity, and when you switch the probes around the LED's on the display switch from left to right, indicating the polarity. so i'm surprised to find out that the fluke t-140 can't do this simple task

so if somebody can inform me if a fluke T-140 can detect polarity or not, i would be greatful thanks

Fluke T100, T120 and T140 all have a polarity +&- LEDs, the + LED illuminates if the tester body probe L1 is positive with respect to the remote probe L2 on a DC source and the - LED illuminates if the probes are swapped. On an AC source both +&- LEDs are illuminated.

so if somebody can inform me if a fluke T-140 can detect polarity or not, i would be greatful thanks[/QUOTE]

so if somebody can inform me if a fluke T-140 can detect polarity or not, i would be greatful thanks
[/QUOTE]

I think the best way is to view the Fluke T140 users manual - here is the link to it: http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/T100____umeng0000.pdf

I would also ask why are you looking at the phase rotation indicator on the TEK950 when you are carrying out a single phase test - or am I missing something here? Perhaps someone else who uses a TEK950 can enlighten us on how they carry out a polarity test with this meter and if the phase rotation indicator changes from L to R if the poles are switched?

I would expect the phase rotation indicator to change from L to R on a 3 phase test but not on a single phase test.

[/QUOTE]
I thought this had been explained above, but in summary:
It can directly indicate DC polarity via the polarity LEDs, but obviously the LEDs do not indicate AC polarity. Polarity can be checked in the normal way by measuring the line voltages with respect to earth.

i didn't realise the LED's were just for phase rotation, every other tester i've used, on single phase the LED's change according to polarity, so i just thought thats what they all did.

Reply to does anyone own a fluke T140? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock