Discuss Does House built in 1960 Need Rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are about to buy a 1960 built 3-bed semi-detached. The upstairs bathroom was completely renovated in 2016 with new electrical installation (including isolation box just outside of bathroom) and a small Schnieder Easy 9 consumer unit placed by existing fusebox understairs (see picture).

We had an electrician around who stated the wires in downstairs utility are about 10 years old (visual inspection). He also visually checked the sockets in kitchen and said that, except for the absence of earth wire, the condition of wires looks OK.

However, the electrician did not offer to do a PIR, and instead looked at fusebox understairs and said I need rewire! He has quoted about £3300 +Vat to do the rewire.

Do the wires by fusebox look sufficiently OK?
Can we get a full consumer unit, change sockets and light and complete any work highlighted by a PIR?

We really want to avoid an unnecessaryrewire. We expect to live here for 10 years or more.

Thanks.

Can you attach a photo or two of your fuse box? **edit** I didn't see the link to the picture.

Did he do any testing before he decided on a complete rewire?

If the wiring is rubber insulated or cotton wrap insulation then it probably would be a good idea to completely rewire. If the wiring is PVC and isn't showing any signs of degradation then it probably won't need a rewire.

We had an electrician around who stated the wires in downstairs utility are about 10 years old (visual inspection). He also visually checked the sockets in kitchen and said that, except for the absence of earth wire, the condition of wires looks OK.

However, the electrician did not offer to do a PIR, and instead looked at fusebox understairs and said I need rewire! He has quoted about £3300 +Vat to do the rewire.

Do the wires by fusebox look sufficiently OK?
Can we get a full consumer unit, change sockets and light and complete any work highlighted by a PIR?
you need to get EICR done first before any work carried out ,weather you think to have rewire.

If it's your house and you're going to be there a while it would be good to install a more modern consumer unit with RCD protection for you and your family. I think that device may be a voltage operated leakage breaker although maybe one of the UK guys will confirm.

Depends a bit on if you are thinking of doing anything else, and if it is 60's if the lighting circuit has a continuous earth (if it has one at all). Probably do need a new consumer unit.

Yes the stuff is 57 tears old. You'll probably replace the windows, boiler, paintwork, etc. Only thing worth re using is the bricks & timber!"

If it's your house and you're going to be there a while it would be good to install a more modern consumer unit with RCD protection for you and your family. I think that device may be a voltage operated leakage breaker although maybe one of the UK guys will confirm.
It is difficult to get a clear image but it is possible.

Hi All,

Thanks for the informative replies.

We have two seperate electricians around and neither did any testing. One was ELECSA registered, while other was NICEIC resigstered.

A clearer image of the 'mini' consumer box is below. It states date of next inspection is May 2021, and that installation complies to BS7671 if that means anything?

Hi bud,not a chance of answering the original question,without proper test and inspection. To recommend a rewire,a competent electrician,should indicate exactly why that is his opinion. Being old,or short of four grand's worth of work,is not justification.

My own folk's property,was built in the sixties,and although it was wired in PVC t&e,many of the cpc's,were cut back or not connected. The wiring tested out fine,and much of the disruptive part of a full rewire,was avoided.

If all old things were bad,we'd have no use for nans,antiques and parliament.;)

Even Parliament is getting a rewire!

OP, depends on where you want to spend your money. I'm currently working at a property, that's having a new kitchen & utility fitted for several thousands of pounds. A new gas boiler has been installed, and they spent nearly £800 on vertical radiators alone. They also had a new bathroom installed a few years ago. You get my drift.

So I'm altering the wiring for the kitchen & utility, which fortunately was part of a relatively new extension, with recent new wiring.

However, parts of the remainder of the house has wiring circa 1960, some of the lighting circuits have no earthing. I suggested to the owner to have a proper inspection & perhaps consider a rewire, work too much for me to do, so no conflict there IMO.

Reply, was well something we can't afford it, we'll get it done when we have too. I don't understand people spending thousands on renovating their homes, but don't want to get the basics right.

Cable manufacturers appear to guarantee the expected lifetime of their cables between 20-5o years BASEC - British Approvals Service for Cables - http://www.basec.org.uk/News/Basec-News/Life-Expectancy-of-Cables

So perhaps put off that new kitchen & consider a rewire.

but they can't show off buried cables to the neighbours, can they?
And that's the crux of it most times!
If they get the heating upgraded they can show off their new all singing and all dancing boiler with 10 years warranty and energy efficiency of 95% which they have just paid a small fortune for. But re-wire, where's the fun in that? a few new socket & switch fronts and a new "fuse board" under the stairs... boring!

Reply to Does House built in 1960 Need Rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net