Discuss Does it need it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Liam howe

hi everyone,
I have got a job to do in a local hairdresser to change a consumer unit fed off an economy 7 meter.

My question is do you need to test and notify the works like you would in a domestic dwelling? Also is it mandatory that the incoming services of water/gas are bonded with 10mm earth.

I know this is the correct procedure for domestic installs but this is our first non domestic job and we want to get it right.
Thanks

10mm bonding is the correct procedure for domestic installs? First I heard of it.

Have you been living under a rock?

Of course if you use the adiabatic equation you could probably get away with 6mm but any good electrician will always use 10mm the cost difference is minimal.

The sizes for main protective bonding conductors are mentioned in reg 544.1. Size would depend on the supply and size of earthing conductor and/or neutral conductor.

I expect most domestic properties with a PME supply, it would be 10mm, but not necessarily. I guess that's what Hightower refers to.

Scope of Part P, is refered to in that document 1.3.2.(citation my green OSG). I think, I might be wrong, but the adiabetic question formula is used to calculate protective conductors.

Have you been living under a rock?

Of course if you use the adiabatic equation you could probably get away with 6mm but any good electrician will always use 10mm the cost difference is minimal.

I'd argue the opposite, in that any good electrician will always figure out if 10mm is needed rather than just upgrading it for the sake of it. Okay, the cable may not cost much, but some bonding runs are a nightmare. From the calculations I've done over the past few years I've yet to encounter a house with a TT or TN-S supply that actually needs 10mm.

Agree with hightower. See if it is needed, especially if it's a complicated run. Daz.

I thought the 'adiabatic is used for sizing of the earth conductor and protective conductors, not bonding conductors.
Bonding conductor sizes are selected from the calculated (or selected using tables) size of earth conductor or protective conductor'??

I'd argue the opposite, in that any good electrician will always figure out if 10mm is needed rather than just upgrading it for the sake of it. Okay, the cable may not cost much, but some bonding runs are a nightmare. From the calculations I've done over the past few years I've yet to encounter a house with a TT or TN-S supply that actually needs 10mm.
What calculations are these.
OP, have you checked for bonding yet.

For myself, domestic work, I find it simpler to have a drum of 10mm in the van to use for bonding services. I've even used it for earthing conductor for TT :)

What calculations are these.

The adiabatic to size the earthing conductor, then bonding conductors can be sized based on the result of this.

For myself, domestic work, I find it simpler to have a drum of 10mm in the van to use for bonding services. I've even used it for earthing conductor for TT :)

That's what we have - massive roll of 10mm, and it gets lashed in for everything. But the OP said it was procedure to have 10mm in domestic for bonding when this simply isn't true.

Think that's the problem with being a bit aloof with ones replies, people get the wrong end of the stick and a little bit excited.

OP, you still there?

The adiabatic to size the earthing conductor, then bonding conductors can be sized based on the result of this.
I find it difficult to believe anyone would do this on a rudimentary domestic installation.

That's what we have - massive roll of 10mm, and it gets lashed in for everything. But the OP said it was procedure to have 10mm in domestic for bonding when this simply isn't true.

Far as I know you can't touch economy 7 electrics. And anyway what possible use would it be to a business unless they operate at night? Must be missing something.

10mm2 is the minimum CSA for both earth and bonding conductors where PME conditions apply.
Where PME conditions do not apply, the minimum CSA for earth conductors is determined by use of the adiabatic equation, for bonding conductors it is 6mm2.
Of course you can touch Economy 7 electrics.

Reply to Does it need it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock