Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Does this comply with 314? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Been at a place today.......... brand new loft conversion.......... so an additional CU has been fitted for the lights and sockets ......................

Thinking specifically about 314.2 :

Kate CU.jpg

I would say that it doesn't............

Opinions please

and more to the point, this conversion probably cost about £45k so using RCBO's wouldn't have been noticed................

The last one I saw was where a new single RCD board had been used for the entire house and loft conversion.............. why do people do this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

I would say you are being very picky here.It only feeds the loft so the rest of the house must be on separate circuits.If you argument stood up then dual RCD boards would have to be banned.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Murdoch

Why?

4. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

Because your saying that if the RCD trips then the power and lighting circuits will go off in the loft.Going on that principle then when a dual RCD board trips one of its RCD's then 4-5 circuits go off.Obviously this practice is still accepted as being ok otherwise the powers that be will have told us to fit RCBO's to everything as standard.

5. Murdoch

^^ but with a dual board you would endeavor to avoid having the lights and sockets for the same room on the same RCD.

My 2nd example is more obvious - and no it wasn't TT!

I stopped fitting dual boards when the AMD3 boards were forced on us - RCBO's every time now!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    But is it not that you put downstairs lights on the RCD with the upstairs sockets and visa versa. Enabling that if a trip fault occurs on 1 Circuit you still have lighting ability via the sockets in that area coming from the other RCD, which voids the dual RCD argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
  8. uksrevivor

uksrevivor Trainee Access

I hope thats not your safe isolation Murdoch lol

9. Murdoch

What I was doing was in the main house - so not my "safe isolation".

FWIW the "other" CU was an older MK - with a 30Ma main switch!

If it was me I would have taken one of the other lighting circuits out of the old board and put it in the new board, then placed the new lighting circuit in the old board!

10. uksrevivor

uksrevivor Trainee Access

I was taking mick m8 lol im still training and learning.
    But agree on the point of rcbo's as it was a new loft conversion so wouldn't of cost much. Im not to keen on the fact if a fault occurs they will loose both circuits in the loft so I would of either separated them or fitted rcbo's

11. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    OK, I agree that RCBOs all round is 'best' and minimising inconvenience is a good thing. However, I think that the problem of being plunged into darkness is over-stated. Where I am, you're much more likely to have a power cut than an RCD trip. So, if darkness was a major safety issue, we would be installing emergency lighting to all rooms in domestic premises.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Complete non-issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Green/yellow tape provides better safe isolation.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Murdoch

Why?

15. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Because unless you are going to argue that the Regulation requires every circuit to be individually RCD protected then it doesn't hold water. And that certainly isn't what is demanded by BS7671. Minimising inconvenience is a matter for a risk assessment - nowhere is it suggested that all possible inconvenience must be eradicated. So whilst you are entitled to your own interpretation of the Regulation I wouldn't agree with such an interpretation. If that's what JPEL/64 had wanted then presumably that's what they would have written.

• Agree Agree x 3