Discuss Does this comply with 314? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

314.2 does say that failure of one circuit should affect others, having stated that I do favour dual rcd boards.

Why does the loft need to be on its own circuit as in lights in particular?

Doesn't, so if it was on different RCD to the sockets, that would be just dandy.

Thing is 314.1 (i) is non descript, everyone is opinion by definition is correct. Personally, I wouldn't put these two circuits on the same RCD, likewise I wouldn't put all kitchen circuits on the same RCD. Circuits in a typical domestic garage, could. All down to your interpretation of that reg.

I'm now off to cook me leg of lamb on the bbq rottiserie. Thought I'd share that, 'case you wondered where I was :D

A good example on a EICR I did this week ............

Dual RCD board ................... all circuits except the air conditioning unit on 1 RCD - does that comply?

As it's an eicr the most you can recommend is an improvement if there's a safety issue,however it's not an unsatisfactory outcome in its own right is it?

Last edited:
As it's an eicr the most you can recommend is an improvement if there's a safety issue,however it's not an unsatisfactory outcome in its own right is it?

Hum ........... not a "safety" issue in its own right but its an elderly lady ..... and as it happens I've commented on my report that the board / installation would benefit if it we to be arranged differently .....

What is the difference in price between a 5+5 consumer unit and one with RCBO's if for eg. 7 ways were used ?.It is down to being competitive whilst RCBO's is the best design it is accepted that a split RCD consumer unit complies if not we would all be pulled up by our respective schemes. If you are pricing up a job that only specs say Hager the price difference will still add up to a bit of a difference over a few houses.

Hum ........... not a "safety" issue in its own right but its an elderly lady ..... and as it happens I've commented on my report that the board / installation would benefit if it we to be arranged differently .....
It maybe would of been a good idea to install a light at the top of the stairs from the lighting circuit below. Not knowing the floor layout it is hard to say.

I was referring to post #110 not my OP

apologies for the confusion.......
I was referring to your OP regarding the loft conversion and a RCD 2 way C.U if trips all loft in darkness causing inconvenience/potential risk, apologies not needed by the way why was the MCB tapped off ?.

Reply to Does this comply with 314? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net