Discuss Does this setup contravene any regs or is it ok? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is there such a regulation?

I don't believe it's a regulation, but it is suggested that you leave a percentage of spares. Last one I did, it got 2 spares for 8 circuits. I can't remember the percentage though.

As for the question from @Jjc about identifying which cable is which... as @anthonybragg said... label it :) Simples :D And if that hasn't been done, used some basic fault finding techniques to identify it... link L-E on one, N-E on the other and a quick continuity check will establish which is which.... then you label it.

I don't believe it's a regulation, but it is suggested that you leave a percentage of spares. Last one I did, it got 2 spares for 8 circuits. I can't remember the percentage though.

As for the question from @Jjc about identifying which cable is which... as @anthonybragg said... label it :) Simples :D And if that hasn't been done, used some basic fault finding techniques to identify it... link L-E on one, N-E on the other and a quick continuity check will establish which is which.... then you label it.
Spare ways just good practice if installing new board doubling up of cables in circuit breakers is in my opinion rough practice

Spare ways just good practice if installing new board doubling up of cables in circuit breakers is in my opinion rough practice

Fundamentally I agree, but like many other things, there are times when it's a good plan.

If it's the choice between cable -> junction -> cables and multiple cables in an MCB... surely it's preferable to guarantee the split point is accessible and obvious for the life of the installation rather than chucking the split in a junction box somewhere (the location of which probably won't be recorded anywhere). Just my thinking :)

This has rumbled on for a while but no-one has described the situation yet the way I see it. Let's assume it's logical for the two points in question to be on one MCB - it does seem this way from the description of the lobby and loft. Conventionally, one cable would run from CU to point 1, to point 2. That's a conventional radial circuit fed from one end.

In this case there's still one run of cable but it goes from point 1 to CU, to point 2. The same things are connected together but in a different order. The circuit is fed in the middle, instead of one end.

The only bearing this has on anything is that having found the point with the highest loop impedance and proven it good, it is not true to say that the other points must also be good because they must be upstream of it. But this doesn't hold true of many lighting circuits anyway because of daisy-chained switch drops, 2-way strappers, multiple circuits visiting one multi-gang box, hidden branches at MF junctions etc. So having the feed point in the middle doesn't really affect testing to any practical extent either.

Thought experiment. Two points, one each end of a long corridor. CU in the middle. What would you do - run to one point and then back past the CU to the other end, or feed out in both directions from the CU?

Just the first paragraph.
Reg. in question is (as someone else mentioned) to cover the likes of borrowed neutrals.
I have always designed domestic lighting installs so that if one light is out, then the next is not only on a different MCB, but on a different RCD as well. For instance, on a first floor, all the rooms would be on one or more MCBs, but on the same RCD, and the passage/stairs light would be on another RCD.
On the "more than one circuit into one MCB" argument, I consider it good design to bring lighting circuits near the consumer unit back separately and into the same MCB because of the help it gives to fault finding.
The very last fault finding job I did was to sort a s/c on a lighting circuit, and there were three "circuits" originating from the same MCB, affecting considerable part of the house. After a couple of minutes testing at the consumer unit, I was able to reinstate all but couple of utility room lights, which were left to the following week.

Yes I know all about circuitry and tracing circuits what about three phase boards if for some reason someone connected one of the two cables into a breaker
on a different phase? We are not talking simple domestics now.

Yes I know all about circuitry and tracing circuits what about three phase boards if for some reason someone connected one of the two cables into a breaker
on a different phase? We are not talking simple domestics now.

Then it's two separate single phase circuits supplied by two separate OCPD in a three phase board.

Bit random: When designing an installation, should the distribution board/consumer unit have 25% spare capacity when installation completed?

What’s the point of it if there was one?
If you fitted an 10 way DB for 8 circuits and someone came along and used the 2 spare ways then does that mean the board needs changing to 12 way?
It would never end.

I think the regulations recommend that consideration be given to foreseeable future expansion to the installation somewhere near the beginning of the book.
I may be recalling this from previous editions though.

BYB Definitions

Circuit. An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against over current by the same protective device(s)

314.4 Where an installation comprises of more than 1 final circuit, each final circuit shall be connected to a separate way in the distribution board ....

Neither of these state that a final circuit only has 1 cable

so............ I would say that the OP's original circuit complied 100%

Or the OP could have whipped out a short length of T&E, plus some Wago's and joined the 2 cables just before the MCB and then what

Reply to Does this setup contravene any regs or is it ok? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock